Chapter 19

First Master's Grave

(Y/N)'s POV

Elfman and Evergreen made it past and barely got in time for the master to securely say that they were the only ones out successfully. The final results being people who passed: Natsu & Happy, Grey & Loke, Levy & Gajeel, Cana & Lucy and Elfman & Evergreen. The people who couldn't make it: Juvia & Lisanna, Freed & Bickslow and Mest & Wendy. Mest has peaked my curiosity and because of this, I'm going to have to keep a close eye on him to see what he's up to. He seems awfully suspicious. And so from what I can see, he and Wendy just went sightseeing around Tenroujima. As for the rest, they were listening intently to the master. I was in the shadows, behind some trees and hiding my presence, so I can quickly tell the master if something's up.

"The second trial consists of wits, memory and strategy or in other words, intelligence. What you need to do is you have to find the first master's, Mavis's, grave, that is located somewhere around this island." The master said. "You have 6 hours to do so. And the trial starts now." Everyone dispersed and as soon as everyone was out of sight and earshot, I came out from behind the trees. "Everyone who lost has headed to the meet up point. Everyone apart from Mest and Wendy. From what I could see, they went sightseeing around the island. I am keeping a close eye on them in case anything happens." I said. The master looked straight at me, looking thoughtful.

"That's not the only reason is it (Y/N)?" he said, half smiling. I smiled back. Of course he would know. He can read straight through me, as if I'm an open book. Right from the beginning he knew I was hiding something, but that I was uncomfortable talking about it so he never questioned me about it. He must still know that I'm hiding something. It seems like he always knows. When no one else figures it out, he does. I giggled and answered, going back to my serious mood from before. "No master. Mest seems a little bit suspicious so I just wanted to keep my eyes out to make sure that he doesn't do anything fishy." He nodded his head in understanding and started to head to the meet up spot to explain the next steps for the people that didn't pass.

I used my powers to look around and see if anyone else needed to head over to our camp. Everyone headed there and Wendy and Mest were looking around the island at all the beautiful sights. I should head over there myself. I didn't care about the fact that no one knew I was helping out. Gramps had told me that I could come out of hiding after the first trial. So, I made my way to the camp.

I was in the trees when I heard it. "They told me that they'll get married! I know it was just a tactic to distract me and all, but I was still surprised." I heard Mira say. So that's what they said. I walked over and started giggling, attracting the attention of the girls already there.

"Hi (Y/N). How's the watch going?" Lisanna asked me. I took a seat as Erza placed some food in front of me. I sighed. "I... It's exhausting but at least I'm able to be of any help. I'm new and all but this is actually very fun with the way I'm helping." I replied, digging into the food. "This is delicious Erza! How can you cook so well?" I exclaimed with my mouth full. She giggled and told me it's a secret. Pouting, I continued eating while the others talked.

"Has Gramps passed by here?" I asked, looking around. "No why?" Erza looked at me weird as she said that. "Huh? That's weird. He said he was heading this way. Maybe he took a detour. Well, anyway, thanks for the food, Erza. I better get back to work. And leave before the rest arrive. Only you guys know I'm here, and I'd like to keep it like that for as long as possible." I said that as I stood up and started to leave but got stopped by Juvia.

"Take care. And please make sure Grey-sama doesn't get too injured. You may be a couple, BUT. I'll still love Grey-sama." she said. I nodded and took off just as Freed and Bickslow starting coming through the bushes.

Well that was a handful. I started to wonder around, surveying the area and making sure nothing unwanted was around while also keeping an eye out on Mest. He seemed awfully suspicious and I don't know if he wants to or not. But just in case.

I walked around the island until I found the First Master's grave. The irony. I was not part of the trail, and I'm an outsider. Why did my parents want me to join this guild I had no idea. But I'll try to help out as much as possible. No idea how though.

I continued to walk around, patrolling the area like nothing ever happened. I put on my headphones and extended my hearing range to the whole island plus 200m across water. All I heard was the normal sounds of a forest: birds chirping, the wind and swaying trees and the sounds of the waves crashing against the island.

I closed my eyes and relaxed slightly at all these sound until I heard a ship. And the sounds of voices on it. They did not sound friendly. I opened my eyes again and ran. I ran towards the camp not caring about anything anymore and broke through the bushes nearly out of breath.

"(Y/N). What's wrong?" Erza asked concerned. "You looked flustered." I looked up at her as I bent over to place my hands on my knees for a moment. I caught my breath and stood upright. "Have you seen Gramps since I left? I need to talk to him. It's urgent." I replied. From the way Erza's, Mira's and the rest of the people there's expressions they understand it was important. They looked kinda scared a little too. I think it was because they'd never seen me this serious before.

The face of Freed and Bickslow also had a sense of surprise since they didn't know I was here. I didn't care though. That ship.... I had sense a dark aura around it. And it was heading  towards the island as if it had purposefully wanted to come here.

"No. He still hasn't came around here." Juvia told me. I nodded and was about to run back into the bushes to look for the master when Mira grabbed my hand. "What's wrong? What's the hurry?" I looked down trying to find words for the darkness I sense coming from that ship. Oh what? Why am I lying to myself? It wasn't the ship that had me in a frenzy.

It was a familiar pure darkness.

I didn't know if he was truly here, but my problem was that I didn't sense anything like that until I sensed the ship. I looked up and looked straight at them. "I think we're in trouble. A ship with approximately 6 people on it are heading straight for the island." I stuttered a bit. "And the aura around that ship.... it.... -it was evil. Very."

TO BE CONTINUED