VII. Mystery

Freia's POV

We sat down on the cushioned seats as we waited for the ceremony to start. The auditorium was filled with loud chatters of students and teachers and the place was dimly lit. It was hard to see how many students were actually there, when the only lights that were bright were the ones that were pointed to the stage.

I straightened my uniform. It was the simplest of uniforms. A navy blue high-waisted skirt that stops at my knees and a white blouse that looked decent enough on me. A tie matched the skirt.

When I came here through the portal with Clarence, my breath was taken on every turn I made. It was hard for me to take in the sceneries that surrounded the school and dorms.

When we stepped into my dorm, a transparent man in his worn out suit passed by our view, making me yelp out in surprise. Clarence had to explain everything to me. About how some percentage of the human race had preternatural abilities and that the place that we were in was where they were safe to practice and explore those abilities.

Reminded me of a movie I watched one time with Kael and Kat. The title was of a bird's home for sorts of children. I gave up trying to remember.

My roommates were consisted of three girls, Tristine, and the twins, Molly and Polly.

Tristine was the one who summoned the transparent man that gave me a bit of a fright. But she apologized afterwards with a shy smile as she looked anywhere but me. While we talked, more like I talked more when she only replied with short sentences, I then discovered that she had the ability to summon ghosts at command. The ghosts can't hurt people, they only scare them. Which was what happened to me.

The twins, however, were outgoing and talkative. Molly was a dark girl with kinky short curls that bounced every time she turned her head. Her sister, Cassie, was very moderate in speaking. She had long, bright, red hair, which made me confused but then I did hear that they were certainly twins, so I brushed that fact off. I have yet to find out what their abilities were.

I met Karl outside the classroom door, while waiting for our teacher to let us in. We talked quite a bit until a man in his fifties with wrinkles and white cropped hair opened the door and let us in. The man was our teacher in history and our adviser for the year. He was stern and lines formed from his lips to the asides of his chin every time he frowned.

"So are you new to....?" I asked, gesturing to everything around me to Karl as I tried to think of a word to define the things I've learned from Clarence.

The dark boy with specs sat beside me, drumming his fingers on his arm rest as he faced me. His legs were up on the cushioned chair, placing his chin on his knees.

"The preternatural abilities?" He gave me a confused look. I nodded, feeling like a kid even though he's a few months younger than me, maybe. "Well, I grew up practicing mine ever since I was young."

"When was that exactly?"

"Hmmm," he pondered and his eyes went distant for a moment, "I think, when I was 7 or 8."

"Ohhh," I muttered, not knowing what to reply with. Instead, I said, "what's your ability?"

"Manipulating metal." He had a smile on his face. "What about you?"

"I don-"

"Students, please settle down," the speakers sounded and the students stopped talking to listen in. "We're about to start the ceremony."

How come I don't know mine? I grew up not knowing what happened before I was in a hospital. Not knowing who my parents were, the doctors never knew their names and the officials weren't able to tell me. Fabio and Darlene never mentioned anything special about me