Chapter five

"We'll pick her up in fifteen minutes." Jack had said. Two hours later, they pulled up to Katherine's house.

"Yeah, we're FINALLY here." Jack said into his phone, although it was obviously aimed at the boys in the back seat. "Yeah...okay..." he hung up. "Dave, drive around to the side of the house..."

"Seriously?"

"Hurry up! Before her dad sees us!" Davey rolled his eyes and drove around to the side of the house.

Katherine was sitting in her window, her legs dangling over the side. She grinned and waved to the boys as they pulled up. She motioned for them to wait as she slipped back inside for a second to grab her backpack, then scrambled down the side of the house.

"Hi, boys!" She greeted them breathlessly. "Hey Kath. Next time just come out the door like a normal person." Davey muttered. Katherine chuckled and climbed in the back seat, ending up next to Specs. "Wait," Jack stopped Davey just as he was about to drive off. "Specs, you wanted to ride shot gun right?" Specs nodded eagerly. "You got it." Jack unbuckled and hopped out of the car. "Hurry! My dad's gonna see us!" Katherine warned. Specs and Jack switched spots as quickly as possible. "That's better." Jack smirked, placing his arm around Katherine's shoulders.

"Finally off to Santa Fe!" Crutchie cheered as Davey pulled away from the curb.

Katherine glanced back at her house just before they turned the corner and caught sight of her dad, standing in the doorway, shaking his head at them with the look of a man who had accepted defeat. She smiled to herself and settled in close to Jack. "Finally off to Santa Fe!" She echoed Crutchie.

Sorry again for a very short chapter. Hey look! I made Pulitzer kind of nice this time! If you have any funny road trip stories or ideas, comment them for a chance for a shout out and maybe a mention in the story if I use your idea and if you put your name! :)