Chapter Twenty-seven

"Aren't you glad I hired a chauffeur?" Jenny pressed with a knowing smile as it became more and more obvious that in this neighborhood, staking out was a must for a parking spot.

Jessie continued to stare out the window in astonishment as the stacked cars bordering the entire block resembled a decorative never-ending toy train set.  "It figures why Lauren decided not to stay close by," she remarked.

However, Jessie had to admit that this was an absolutely beautiful neighborhood with a mix of colonial homes and some Victorian-style ones off the water.  

"When we were younger still living at home, I always just took public transportation out here," Jenny explained.  "And as much as I complained that she had it easier coming out to hang with me, I would relive all those moments with her in a heartbeat."

While Jessie felt her heart tug for a brief second, Jenny allowed herself to get emotional, though in a controlled manner.  She often wished she knew Lauren longer than she had like Jenny, but she too cherished her own memories through the years.  

The car finally stopped in front of a small white-paneled colonial home with a charcoal roof and shutters and a front door of the same shade to match.  The lawn on each side of the cement path leading to the few steps of the porch appeared freshly weeded and watered.  "We'll be about an hour or so, Murray," Jenny announced to the driver.

Without turning his head, Murray nodded.  "In that case, I will just stay put," he confirmed before Jenny and Jessie scooted out the door.

"I feel horrible," Jessie confessed the moment Murray pulled away.  "I never once thought to give her parents a call after the funeral."

Jenny rubbed her back.  "Don't be so hard on yourself," she insisted, leading the way up to the house.  "All I did was send her parents and brother each a 'thinking of you' card with the intention of getting in touch with them.  Think of how Lauren was so you can only imagine how her family is certainly not offended."

Once they approached the paneled door, Jessie smiled at the silver door knocker engraved with "Neilson" while Jenny rang the doorbell.  Within a minute, the door creaked backwards revealing a stout, but beautifully aged woman that had Lauren's eyes and heart shape face.  "It's so wonderful to see you both!" Mary Ellen gushed as she enveloped the two in a loving embrace.  "Come in, come in!"

The entrance of the house reminded Jessie of her country home in the UK, though smaller and more modern.  "My husband apologizes that he couldn't be here," she informed them as she locked the door behind them.  "With Lauren gone, he temporarily is out of retirement until her brother can handle the business on his own."

"We completely understand," Jenny responded.

"I figured since the weather is holding up beautifully that we would have lunch out on the patio," Mary Ellen suggested.

Jenny and Jessie exchanged content glances.  "That sounds great," Jenny concluded.  "You always threw the best outdoor parties."

As Jenny and Mary Ellen reminisced leading the way to the back of the house, Jessie smiled as the walls wore various portraits of Lauren growing up through the years, Jessie's favorite being in a high school JV cheerleading uniform.  She always knew Lauren was very athletic, but had no idea she once cheered.

Although the yard wasn't as spacious as expected, it was decently sized with a small area dedicated to gardening and the rest filled with a shed, a large green-striped tent to accommodate an eight-chaired patio set, and a couple of lounge chairs.  A few domed bowls and plates sat at the center of the glass table with a small cooler to the side filled with various canned beverages swimming in ice.