Chapter Twenty-eight

Jessie circled for a spot for the fifth time more fixated on the fact that she never texted Gianna back after her remark about her relationship with Riley. Although this Panera technically was a little out of the way for both of them, Gianna's reasoning was the least of her worries. How she was able to cover her emotional response from Gianna's text in front of Jenny she will never know, but Jenny being excited about her new career plans certainly helped.

Maybe she was right regarding the timing of Lauren's letter. Maybe all things happen for a reason, she thought to herself, although that certainly could not be applicable to the impending wrath she was going to face in a matter of five minutes if someone would pull out anytime soon.

No matter how much she sized everything up, she could not get over the fact that Gianna's anger hit her like a ton of bricks. Wasn't she was the one that left Riley in her care when she was in a bind? On top of that, she seemed rather relieved that Riley finally opened up to somebody and Gianna certainly was on board about the dance camp idea that looked like was coming to fruition at a local YMCA, relieved by the affordable cost for Gianna and the fact that Riley made the age maximum cut-off.

Deep in her heart, though, Jessie knew something wasn't right. Riley either said something completely inappropriate and false about Jessie or Gianna's true colors were coming out as Jenny predicted all along. Either way, Jessie was aware that she was going to be hurt, but that she had to really try hard to stay afloat to continue her stream of good personal progress.

Tired of battling other drivers for a close spot, Jessie drove a couple of blocks away towards a residential block and snagged one of the two spaces left by a leaning tree trunk. Although the walk towards Panera seemed to take longer than it really was, Jessie took in a breath when the yellow image of a woman holding bread on the famous green sign came into view.

Think positive. Think Lauren, she prompted herself once her hands reached for the door handle.

Jessie scanned the rows of booths and tables behind the wall that served as a divider from the ordering area and beverage dispensers. Being it was only 4:51, she wasn't surprised that Gianna was nowhere to be found. Not wanting to order without her, Jessie stayed by the condiment stand so she was close enough to the entrance and growing line.

"Gianna, your order is ready! Gianna!" a baritone voice cheerfully exclaimed a minute later from the speakers above her.

Jessie's eyes diverted towards the pick-up counter where the Gianna she at least knew was no where to be seen.

Christ, Jess, it's not like she's the only Gianna in the world, she found herself thinking in a Jenny-like tone much to her amusement.

Not giving it another thought, Jessie scanned the menu deciding after barely eating at Mary Ellen's she could afford the calories of the chopped chicken cobb salad with avocado and a frozen lemonade.

"Gianna, your order is ready!" the deep voice repeated again over the speaker. "Gianna!"

The sound of a door fluttering open with a boom adjacent to the pick-up counter brought Jessie's attention to the familiar frail figure nearly flying out of the bathroom. "I'm here! I'm here!" Gianna declared nearly tripping her way to the counter to pick up her tray.

Unsure of what to do at first, Jessie decided to slowly meander towards the pick-up counter close enough to be seen. Gianna placed her clear cup filled with fizzy brown iced liquid on her tray containing a large steaming bowl, chunk of bread, and chips before ensuring she had a good grip on the plastic to carry it away.

"Hey, Gia," Jessie greeted soft enough not to startle Gianna, who had yet to even notice her feet away.

Nearly spinning around with her tray, Gianna gave Jessie a curt smile. "Hi, Jess. Thanks for coming on such short notice. I'm going to grab us a table by the bathroom so you can go place your order," she stated, her expression neutral. "I'll wait for you."