Chapter Thirty-four

"Jess, are you okay?" Amber asked as Jessie unconsciously glanced towards the window where the rain thankfully began to pass just as the news promised for the Central Park concert later.

Jolting back to reality, Jessie turned towards her therapist in embarrassment.  "You've been talking this whole time and my attention span just faded away.  I'm sorry," she apologized.  "My mind is in a zillion places at once including going back to the UK."

Amber tilted her head understandingly.  "After all that you have told me, I completely understand," she assured her.  "I basically just said that with all that has been on your plate, you have dealt with everything better than anybody else could."

"I feel like a complete berk asking this since as usual you probably beautifully explained yourself already, but do you really think so?" Jessie asked.  "I went from transforming myself, straightening out things with Brendan while helping him out of a rut, and helping Gia and her daughter to rebuild a better life to having to worry about something that isn't my business."

"Before we get to that last bit, I want you to delete everybody out of the equation for a minute," Amber instructed.  "Can you safely say that you will be returning back to the UK in better condition than when you left it?"

Without hesitation, Jessie nodded.  "I feel like I have a much better grip on myself and am very prepared to head back into that studio refreshed," she replied.  "I don't feel paranoid or overwhelmed by things that plagued me after the tour.  I feel like...me."

Grinning, Amber clasped her hands together over her black pencil skirt cross-legged.  "This is wonderful, Jess, and that very last statement was powerful," she commented.  "You have had many bones tossed in your direction and even with so many plays on your emotions like when Brendan suddenly stopped talking to you, you still were able to find yourself stronger than before.  You should be proud of yourself.  I know I am."

Jessie's eyes twinkled.  "Thank you," she told her with genuine appreciation.  "I know this is our final session today, but do you think this is it for therapy for me in general?"

"The only person who can decide that is ultimately you," Amber said.  "As I have said, you have made phenomenal progress in just a short period time.  However, I would advise you to see somebody back at home at least a couple of times so you at least have a professional there established just in case in the future you need somebody."

Having made a lot of sense, Jessie bobbed her head up and down.  "I know my doctor had mentioned some other counsellor when I had called for a reference here so I will be sure to give her a call again to find out more about him," she told her.

"Perfect," Amber declared before glancing at her clock.  "As for what worries you now.  Let me just ask you one question first.  I know it's only been a few days, but have you seen Gia or Riley since Brendan's surprise party?"

Jessie shook her head.  "Given the move is definite and we fly back home next Friday, I just told her to focus on packing and situating herself," she answered.  "She protested, but she has to be realistic and prepare Riley."

"Do you know how Riley is doing after learning about the move?" Amber wondered.

"Gia called me this morning since she is meeting us at the concert with Riley later and gave me the heads up that Riley has completely shut down," Jessie revealed despondently.  "It's as if all Riley's progress has become undone.  And starting tonight, we have to watch Riley for a couple of nights."

Amber tossed her head back and forth thoughtfully.  "I know things seem like a mess, but you just have to trust Gia's made a good decision," she concluded.  "With her health issues, she needs the best care possible so she doesn't leave Riley an orphan as you told me she seemed to fear when she confided in Brendan.  Once Riley has been in North Carolina for a while in a place where she can essentially restart, she'll come around."