Chapter Thirty-one

Gianna compliantly remained home from work these past couple of weeks in spite of her stubborn work ethic.  While Jessie knew she shouldn't have caved in emotionally, she couldn't help but miss having Riley stay over the moment she headed home with her mom after pizza that night.  For the time being, she offered to drop and pick Riley off from camp until Gianna insisted she return to work the following Wednesday which marked the first week of August.  

Although she enjoyed helping out and getting to see Riley a great deal, who was a completely different kid from when she first met her, the distraction wasn't becoming enough to stop thinking of Brendan.  He texted her a now customary measly apology the other day and promised to explain what was going on with production soon.  However, he didn't reply when Jessie continued to question why her calls weren't going through to his phone concealing the fact that both Jenny's house and cell phone numbers rang through all the way to voicemail.

"Everything okay, Jessie?" a smooth young female voice echoed outside of the recording studio in downtown Manhattan.

Jessie shook away her thoughts.  "Sorry, Hannah," she apologized before remembering what she was going to tell her before she began to daydream.  "You're hitting all the notes, but the emotion is still lacking.  I know these aren't your lyrics, but I want you to put yourself in the situation of the speaker.  This is a person who was degraded, told she would never make it anywhere, and carried on a poor self image.  Let the listeners feel her pain and want to stand up against these bullies who rob people of their true identity."

The aspiring singer took in every one of Jessie's words quite seriously, though she appeared slightly defeated.  "I don't tell you this to break you down, babe.  You are an amazing singer who can really make it big," she continued to encourage.  "I just want you to be one with the song.  When you can do that, every note you belt out will be believable."

Hannah nodded with a small smile.  "I think I get what you're saying.  I promise to really read through the lyrics of these songs thoroughly so I know exactly how to deliver them," she assured her.  "Can I try again?"

"Of course!  Let's have a go again," Jessie affirmed excitedly.

"Unfortunately that won't be possible, at least for you, Jess," her producer friend, Big Henry, announced from behind Jessie.  "It's already 11."

Jessie nearly cursed in surprise as she didn't realize how absorbed she was into this recording session as a favor to Big Henry to be a guest mentor, though it also helped keep her in tune with the American music scene working with fresh talent.  "Wow, two hours really flew," she remarked genuinely before looking directly at Hannah.  "It's been such a pleasure and if our paths do not cross again, please keep up the great work and don't ever give up.  You got this and I want to hear the name Hannah Reid over and over again on the radio back home."

Hannah smiled brightly.  "Thank you so much, Jessie!" she gushed.  "I am never going to forget this experience."

"It's been real, Jess," Big Henry told her and his wrapped her in a half hug as she made her way out of the studio.  "I'll hit you up soon if you have time to come back before you fly out to the UK."

After saying her goodbyes and heading back out to the Manhattan streets, Jessie reflected on the mentoring experience contently and partly missing her judging days on The Voice in the UK and in Australia.  However, the three block walk to the elite parking garage she used gave her mind way too much time to shift gears back onto what plagued her the most.

I know I technically heard from him, but it doesn't count, she thought to herself as she passed a Marriott.  

The moment Jessie's Bluetooth registered in her car, she tried dialing Brendan's cell only to get the same automatic message about the person not accepting any calls.  "On to Plan B," she declared and searched through her digital note app.