CHAPTER 21

The pouring rain has calmed down

I turned the corner into a small alley. It was damped and dirty like most allies in New York.

I paused at one of the dumpsters to catch my breath. Rainwater mixed with my ugly tears running through my face; I wiped them away as best I could with the wet sleeves from my coat.

"Atlas!"

I heard Troye yelling after me. He came to a stop when we found me leaning against one of the dumpsters. His heavy footsteps echoing through the alley.

"Atlas..."

"Leave me alone! What else do you want from me? I have already given you everything." My voice was hoarse. "Everything."

"Atlas, I care about you--"

I huffed a little air out through my nose.

"Atlas..."

"What, Troye? What?!"

"That kiss didn't mean anything to me. It was just a publicity stunt."

"Tell that to your fans. They'll believe whatever you say."

He ran his hands through his hair; slowly stepping toward me.

"Don't you dare come near me!" I shouted.

He stopped.

"Atlas, please let me explain," he said, his voice soft and gentle.

"Explain what, Troye? There is nothing to explain. You've already said enough," I sniffed.

"You don't understand."

"Yes, you're right. I don't understand, because I am just an ordinary human being--a nobody, unlike you, who can demand whatever and everything will be done for you." I didn't mean to be harsh. The words were just coming out of my mouth.

His face turned grim.

"Is that what you think? That I can just order people around?" He raised his voice now almost shouting, "No, Atlas. Everything that is happening to my life now I have to earn them. I worked hard to get to this point."

I wasn't looking at him. Fuck him.

"But that's not why I'm here. Atlas, please. I'm sorry."

I turned my head away. He has to leave now or else I will not be able to hold back any more tears.

"Just go, Troye. There is nothing you can say--" I covered my mouth with my hands because my voice was shaking. I blinked away some more tears.

"Atlas..."

I couldn't hold back any more tears.

"Of course I don't know why I'm always thinking about you. I should have known it was just a one night stand. Just meaningless sex."

He shook his head slowly. "No, Atlas..."

"Just go, Troye. Go!"

Zoe and Connor finally caught up to us. I felt bad for Zoe. I shouldn't have left her alone to carry all of those bags herself.

Meanwhile, Troye looked like he was about to shed a tear, too.

The lamppost flickered on.

"Troye," Connor said. "What is going on?"

"Nothing. Can you please go wait at the hotel?"

Connor nodded. He glanced at me with stinging eyes and left. Of course, he didn't think that kiss was a publicity stunt. No one would. They looked so happy together.

"Atlas..."

"JUST LEAVE!"

Zoe stepped up to Troye. "I think you should go, Troye," her voice soft but stiff.

Troye shut his eyes as if he was in pain. 

"Okay." He made eye-contact with me one last time and walked away.

I crumpled down to the cold pavement. I let out my ugly tears and cry my ugly cries.

Zoe ran to me and tried to comfort me. "Atlas, I'm so sorry."

I wrapped my arms around her. We were both wet and soggy.

Zoe cried, too, which made me feel even more horrible.

We were holding on to each other really tight.

Only fools fall for you,

Troye Sivan.

♡♡♡

To be continued...