3

alexander

I woke up with a start to a completely empty room. I rubbed my face and I could feel the imprint of the keyboard. That's just great. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten up so early. I looked at the screen, which had the letter 's' and 'w' painted over practically the entire page. I sighed and started to erase it all. I had only typed a page. I don't even remember what I was typing.

I managed to rid all the letters that were out their by accident and reread what I had been working on earlier. I must've been really tired, because it didn't make any sense. It jumped from topic to topic, finally ending on the topic of John. I groaned out loud and just deleted the whole document.

I dialed up Peggy and asked if she'd be up for hanging out. Of course she accepted and told me to meet her and the other two Schuyler sisters in one of our hangouts on campus, outside the library. The weather had definitely changed from last night's light rain. It was sunny and a nice 65 degrees outside. I showered quickly and put on some jeans and a sweatshirt. I tied my hair up and rolled up my sleeves. I grabbed my key and headed out.

Standing, waiting for me at the library, was Peggy, dressed in a romper with a yellow undershirt, Eliza, in her usual jeans and blue t-shirt with a script 'E' across the front, and Angelica, in a pink sundress that stopped just below her knees with black converse. Peggy gave me a face.

"You're late," she said.

"No," I laughed, "the rest of you are just early. We never set a time." That earned me a smack in the arm from Angelica. "I had to shower and change! I past out on my computer."

"So how's your dorm? Get a cute roommate?" Eliza teased.

I pretended to vomit and just laughed. "I got roomed with Laurens."

They all sighed.

"Oh great!"

"Oh boy!"

"Well ain't that a shame," Peggy stated. We all looked at her. "What? It's true!"

I shrugged in a agreement.

"Alexander, remind me why you don't like Laurens?"

"Because he's so carefree. And messy. And loud. Honestly, he's so confident in everything. He has everything. How some douchebag like him end up so lucky?"

"What do you mean?" Angelica sighed.

"I mean, God! The guy's funny and cool and friendly and totally not-awkward. He's hands- I-I mean... You know, decent-ish. Um... You know... It's not fair. No one can possibly roll the dice and be that lucky. It's just... It shouldn't be possible. It's not fair," I huffed.

"You think Laurens is handsome, do you?" Peggy teased, nudging me.

"Stop it. You know what I mean. How the heck can someone be that lucky?"

"Alex, you really shouldn't be so hard on yourself."

"He's so good at making friends, and you all know how hard it was for me to actually start talking to you all."

"That's just his strong suit. Yours is academics. There's nothing wrong with that," Eliza said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"That's not fair."

"Stop beating yourself up over it," Peggy added.

"I know, I know. I just don't need that constant reminder of him and his stupid social skills."

"Okay, calm down, you sound six," Angelica scoffed. I just rolled my eyes.

"You don't understand. You're not roomed with someone you hate."

"Well..." Peggy trailed.

"Peggy! You're roomed with us!" Eliza squealed.

"I'm just kidding," she giggled.

"This is why I like hanging out with you guys."

"Didn't you used to hang out with that Aaron Burr guy?" Angelica asked.

"Oh, never again," I mumbled, putting two fingers to my temple.

"Why?"

"He's just like Laurens, everything he says has to be whatever I don't agree with. It has to be the opposite. For a guy who claims to have no stance on anything, he certainly seems to."

"Okay, calm down."

"Sorry, I just," I sighed, "I really hate them."

"I don't think you hate them Alex," Peggy stated, "I just think you got off on the wrong foot with them. Maybe you need to start over," she shrugged.

"You're funny Pegs."

"I'm serious. You're going to be rooming with him for a whole year, and you're probably going to be interacting with his friends more often. Maybe you could try working things out."

"Yeah, Peggy's right. Maybe you should try and start things over with them," Angelica butt in.

"Okay," I said, pinching the bridge of my nose, "Have you guys met me? Do you know how awkward I am? Last night, I literally told him to go fuck himself. I cannot be 'buddy-buddy' with him all of a sudden."

"Why'd you tell them that?" Eliza asked.

"He kept calling me 'Sortirican'."

"What the hell is that?" Peggy said, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know. Just further proof that John Laurens is an asshole," I muttered.

"Well with your attitude," Eliza started.

"Shut up," I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"I really think you should just talk to him Alex. Just apologize for everything you did."

"What I did? What the hell did I do?"

"Just say you're sorry. Try to start over."

"Again, have you met me?"

They all laughed and said they had to go. I plopped down on the bench and sighed. Maybe they were right. Maybe I should just apologize to John and try to be his friend. But I doubt he would take it well. None of his friends like me, so he really has no excuse to accept my offer and be my friend. But I could not just give up with this. I was the last person to do that. So I gathered all my guts and checked my contacts to see if I still had Aaron's phone number. Luckily, I still did. I took a deep breath and pressed 'call'.

I waited patiently, well as patiently as I could, for him to answer.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey Burr, its Alex."

"I have caller ID Alexander," he chuckled. I heard murmuring and snickers in the background followed by him whisper-shouting a 'shut up'.

"Listen... uh... Would you by any chance want to hang out sometime?"

"Like now?"

"Or just, you know, whenever. I don't have many friends you know."

"Um sure. Hey why don't you meet me at the coffee shop ten minutes from campus?"

"That's great. Wait, Burr?"

"What?"

"Um... C-Could you... Could you bring John?"

"John?"

"Y-Yeah, John Laurens."

"Okay, but he rarely goes anywhere without his friends."

"They can come too. Thanks." I hung up and sighed. Perfect. Just perfect.