2

john

"You're right. I do have friends. See you later." I grabbed my keys from under my schedule and my coat from my unmade bed. I pretended to tip a hat and curtsied Alex's direction. "Your wish has been granted Sortirican."

I could see the annoyance in his eyes as I turned on my heel and let the door slam behind me. I put my coat on and shoved my hands in my pockets as I walked down to my beat up Ford Escape that was a hand-me-down from my sister as a way to drive up from South Carolina in order to go to school here.

I texted Lafayette, Hercules, and Burr to meet me at the coffee shop. New York traffic, as per usual, was crap, and what could've been a ten minute drive was extended to a twenty minute one, but like hell I was about to walk in 30 degree rainy weather.

I got down at the coffee shop, pulled my hood up and ran inside. I ordered myself a hot chocolate and sat at one of the booths. I rubbed my hands together to warm them up as Burr walked in.

"Sounds like someone's having a day," he teased, taking a seat across from me.

"Believe me, I am."

"What do you mean?"

"I-"

I was interrupted by Laf and Herc, storming in, exclaiming about the weather outside. I got my hot chocolate and the others ordered themselves some drinks.

"So what's the big idea John?" Hercules asked, taking a sip of his hot tea.

"I've been roomed with Alexander."

They all groaned.

"What do you hate so much about Alexander Hamilton?"

"Seriously, what'd the guy do to you?"

"We got called out into this mess of weather, because you don't like your roommate?"

I shrugged. "The guy's an asshole."

"You're no picnic either John," Aaron threw in, gulping his coffee.

"Look, he's smart, a-and I know I'm not. I don't need that constant reminder every time I wake up."

"Then learn to deal with it Laurens. It's how anybody gets anywhere in life," he said. The other grumbled in agreement.

"Aw, c'mon you guys. You're supposed to be on my side. Not his."

"We're not on his side," Aaron groaned.

"We just aren't completely on yours," Hercules finished.

"You guys suck."

"Fine. Why don't you like Alexander, honey," Aaron teased.

I rolled my eyes. "Are you going to care or not douchebag."

"Seriously, what could you possibly have against Alexander? He's lived in New York all of three years and you've known him for one and a half of them."

"I already told you. I don't need that constant reminder of how stupid I am when I look over my shoulder."

"You aren't that stupid John. And besides, maybe you've got something that Alex wants."

"Don't try to make this better Laf. What could Mister Fucking Perfect want that I have? My turtle?"

He laughed, and so did Aaron and Hercules.

"Ah, you think he's perfect, do y'a," Laf teased, nudging me, almost making me spill my drink.

"I-I...Um... That's not what I meant. He has his whole life together, is going to be a lawyer and a politician, and I'm... I'm going to have a degree in English and History. No one expects much out of me."

"Don't be like that."

"It's true."

"Okay stop. Let's go back to our dorms before they lock the buildings."

"Okay. Okay. Thanks for showing up guys." They nodded and left. I stayed a bit longer and finished my drink before running out into the rain again and back into my car. I drove back to the building and the RA glared at me as I walked in. "Still have two minutes before curfew, douche."

I ran up the stairs, and my legs started to burn around the second flight. I really needed to go back to working out more so this walk doesn't kill me everyday. I opened the door to pitch blackness. I couldn't see where I was going and I ran my leg into something, causing things to hit the ground I scrambled around for a light or something when the lamp behind me turned on. I saw that my mess wasn't a mess anymore. Things were put away and everything was cleared. Son of a bitch.

"I hate you Sortirican," I grumbled lowly, turning around to face him. I started to change into more comfortable clothes.

"I told you to stop calling me that," he muttered.

"Why'd you do this man?"

"Because I can't stand having a messy roommate, and I can barely stand looking at you. Put a shirt on you hippie."

"So you think organizing my stuff is gonna help? Where the hell is all my stuff? I-I don't know where anything is now!"

"Sounds like a personal problem."

"Fuck you, Sortirican," I said, running a hand through my hair. I pulled on another shirt and then some shorts.

Alex rolled his eyes and I just wanted to smack him. I got under my covers and turned my back to him. I heard the soft creaking of his mattress, and then the light went out. I sighed and stared at the wall, but I couldn't really see anything, so I was basically looking at nothing.

-

The next morning I woke up, my arm dangling off the bed. I sat up and began to gather my things to take a shower. I look over and see Alex, his hair tied up lazily, and he was drowsily hunched over his laptop, typing away. His head was bouncing as he was struggling to stay awake.

"Morning Sortirican," I chuckled, digging around for a towel.

"Go fuck yourself," he replied without even looking up. I just chuckled and left to shower. I changed into some joggers and a t-shirt. My hair was tied up and dripping down my shirt. I went back to the room to put my things up, and saw Alex past out on his keyboard, hunched over and curled into a ball.

I laughed some and then put my stuff away, grabbing my keys so I could go hang out with my friends. I just stared at him. It wasn't fair. He was smart. Incredibly smart. He was at the top of the class, in one of the hardest programs on campus, and he was good-looking. Who the hell is that lucky? He was small, yeah, but everything about him complimented everything. How could someone be so lucky? He has everything. And they think he could be jealous of me?

"How could anyone be that lucky, Sortirican," I muttered.