TWENTY

TWENTY

Waking to an empty room – except for Ashley – Damon sighed before looking at the door that he couldn't reach without help. Help he wasn't getting. Damon decided that he hated this room, even though he had no idea where 'this room' was. Damon understood that Spirit wanted to keep him in here because he didn't want any problems with the vampyre's. But with these dreams and his moments awake being spent within these four walls... Damon felt as though he might go mad. He needed to breathe in a breath of fresh air. Needed it like a vampyre needed blood.

Slamming his eyes shut, Damon wished his body wasn't so tired. That it could cope going up the stairs without failing on him.

"Damon!"

Kayline? Damon opened his eyes to look in her direction. Wait a minute. Closing his eyes, Damon opened them again and for a moment, he wondered whether or not he'd fallen asleep again. But Kayline had never called his voice like that apart for the time when Ashley had fallen unconscious, so it couldn't be a memory. Maybe the memories were giving him a break.

"DAMON!" the sound of Spirit's voices thundered through the hotel's walls, making Damon jump. Wings and all. A brush against his mind by the Brotherhood followed Spirit's bellow.

Suddenly a guy with fire red hair, who was the size of Spirit, was crouched in front of him snarling at a wide-eyed Kayline who had a tray of glasses filled with blood. Damon was guessing that this was the Brother called Phoenix by the hair.

As Jayden appeared and crouched in front of Kayline as the fire head guy was him, the Brotherhood and the vampyre's from Blue Moon entered. Damon would have laughed at the Blue Moon vampyre's face's at the sight of his snow white wings if a sudden spell of dizziness hadn't caused him to grab the kitchen side to keep himself standing.

Mortimer came over to him as George appeared with a chair for him to sit on. As Mortimer helped him sit, Damon saw that they'd pulled the top bar of the chair off so that only the back bars remained, making it easier for him to slot his wings through the gaps.

"I wasn't really sure whether they'd been fake or real when I first saw them," Rose said, leaning against the counter near her twin brother Ivey.

"They're real," Damon laughed. "And damn heavy too."

"Your body will adjust," Spirit said, every voice held the same tone. Anger. Yet some held curiosity as well. Damon looked at him, and knew that he was about to get asked a thousand and one questions. "How did you get up here?"

Damon shrugged, and it was Kayline who spoke with Jayden now standing next to her as the fire head guy had moved to the side next to Damon, the guy was still between him and the vampyre's, just less offensive. "I was just about to come through with the drinks when I felt a presence that hadn't been there before. When I looked over, I saw Damon standing there. He'd just appeared out of nowhere."

"Well, if you are well enough to use magic," Spirit said, arms crossed. "We can try and wake Ashley."

Memories of what she was and what she'd done ran through Damon's mind. But, stupidly, Damon realised that deep down, he didn't care. He loved her. He'd still have to talk to her though. Especially about the thing she'd done with Kayline. But then, hadn't she said that it had been Kayline who had changed her perspective on things? Stopped her from thinking of her vampyre's as tools? Maybe she wouldn't do that again. And he'd have to face it head on if she did.

"Are you going to teleport back down or walk?"

Damon blinked when he realised that the room had been staring at him while he'd been thinking.