TWENTY-ONE

TWENTY-ONE

As Damon lay awake he listened to those in the hotel. The weird part was that he didn't mean by telepathy. They were still all shielding their thoughts from him. Instead, he could hear them moving about, talking, doing things.

It must have been dusk or night as he could only hear the Brotherhood, Jayden and Kayline. The Blue Moon vampyre's must have returned to their bar at dusk so that they could keep their business going. Three of the Brotherhood were scouting the forest. One was watching television in the living room, another was having a shower while Kayline and Jayden were working in the office. But they weren't all he could hear.

Touching his mind to the Brother's outside, Damon found that it was Phoenix, George, and Mortimer. "There are two vampyre's in the trees behind the house." Damon rolled his eyes when he said house. It wasn't a house, it was a mansion.

"So there is," Phoenix replied. "Good ears."

As Damon pulled himself into a sitting position, he heard the girl's voice from the day he and Ashley had gone for a walk and he'd found out about his telepathy. "Hey, Damon."

Galina? Pushing his mind back out, Damon told the Brotherhood that he knew the girl from before. "They were Suresha's but Ashley took them as hers."

"I recognise the girl but not the boy. He says his name is Vlad," George sent though to the Brotherhood and Damon.

"I've just asked Jayden who they are," Sparrow added to theconversation. "Vlad is Galina's brother. He can harden his skin against darkwalkers and the sun."

As Damon heard George head towards the hotel, he slid off the bed to stand. Once standing, Damon stared at the stairs. He was stronger, getting stronger, he should be able to make it up a couple of steps. Damon snorted at his thoughts. A couple of steps? Yeah, and Mount Everest was a mole hill.

But before he had to force himself up the stairs, the door opened to show a recently showered and dressed in different clothes Spirit. Damon wasn't sure how he knew that the clothes were different to the ones Spirit had worn before, because they looked exactly the same, but he did.

Damon was torn between being thankful to Spirit for helping him up the stairs and feeling self-disgust for not being able to climb one flight of stairs. In the end, Damon decided to just be thankful, at least Spirit wasn't arguing that he stay downstairs.

Reaching the top, Damon followed Spirit through to the living room and laughed when he saw the new piece of furniture. It was placed next to the black seat that Ashley had curled up on when he'd first come over. The chair was like all other chairs, except for the back section. The back of the chair was curved in such a way that it would hold the persons back as it would any other, but the shoulder section – where his wings were – was curved in, before coming back out and around again to support the person's head. Admittedly, it looked quite cool.

Damon saw Kayline smile when he laughed. "Merry late Christmas?"

"A Christmas present in August?"

Kayline shrugged and smiled.

Moving over to the seat, Damon found that the seat adjusted to his position and wings better than he thought it would. "Where did you get it?"

"We got a vampyre to make it," Jayden said, entering the room with Galina and her brother, Vlad behind her.

"Hey, Galina, Vlad," Damon smiled at the vampyre that looked to be only ten years old and her older brother who looked like he was a nightclub's bouncer with his bald head and leaf green eyes.