Chapter 38 (Part 3): War

The final part of Chapter 38! Only two chapter left!! 

            The halls were too quiet.

"Jeremy," Ella whispered, her body on high alert. "I have a bad feeling about this."

Together, they turned to face the door that would lead them to the lab. The only thing standing between life and death.

They hadn't past a single zombie since they left the security room. And that had Ella's stomach turning.

"Oh good, it isn't just me," Jeremy teased, laughing quietly. Ella glared at him. "Sorry," he muttered. He quickly changed his expression to a serious one before asking Ella if she was ready silently. This was the moment. T

hey nodded to each other before kicking open the door in front of them.

Daniel stood across the lab with his arms crossed in front of him, his bright yellow eyes staring right at them.

"Well," Daniel's voice echoed off the walls of the empty lab floor. "Who would've guessed you guys would come back." Ella noticed that he didn't look surprised at all and she suddenly had a really bad feeling about this. Daniel glanced behind him. "What? no army?"

"Nope," Jeremy said, eyes his target carefully. He kept his gun aimed at what was once his half-brother. "It's just us. Disappointed?" Jeremy kept the game going while Ella scanned the lab. There wasn't a zombie in sight. But she knew better than to believe they were in the building alone. Daniel had planned something.

He expected them.

"To see my favorite runaways? Never! Our first meeting was so short lived. I hoped I wasn't the reason for the scene you caused." Daniel placed a hand over his heart. "That would hurt my feelings."

"Sorry about that, Danny boy," Ella spoke up, as Jeremy and her inched closer. Daniel made no sudden moves and seemed too happy to have two people pointing guns at him. "We didn't mean to ruin your big night. Where's your army?"

This time, Daniel smirked.

"I sent them to do some errands for me," Daniel answered vaguely. Ella's brain started coming with numerous situations to where the zombies were but Daniel turned to reveal Dominic. The dark-haired boy was unconscious, his arms and legs strapped to a chair. He had wires attached to his arms, his head hung to his side. This gained all of Ella's attention. Other than the wires, Dominic looked fine. "I was kind of busy with Nicky here."

Ella and Jeremy kept their straight expressions. "Who's that?" Jeremy asked, curiously. Daniel rolled his tongue in his cheek as he smiled.

"The answer to all my problems," The parasite started, as he walked around Dominic. He stopped when Dominic laid in front of him. "I'm just making sure this body won't fail me like the first."

"Shane putting up a fight?" Jeremy's smile set Daniel off. Daniel turned to him, his eyes glowed.

"Don't get so excited." Daniel spoke in the same deep and dark voice Ella first heard the night they escaped. All trace of amusement left his face. "Even when I leave, Shane won't be the same. You don't have something controlling every inch of your body and mind and come back in one piece. His body may be rejecting me, but I've already done the damage."

"Hate to break it to you," Ella said, as she unlocked her gun. Jeremy did the same. "But Shane isn't as fragile as you think."

Daniel smirked and flashed Ella his sharp fangs. "Hate you break it to you," Daniel mocked, "but if you shoot me, you're shooting Shane too."