Chapter 6: The Second

Sage:

I pull myself up panting. Even with our new evolution powers it was difficult. But I had never been one to give up easily. My hair is wet and sticking to my clothes which are weighed down with water. I look at everyone. They all look fine apart from that poor girl who drowned. I push that thought out of my head and stride over to the others, wringing out the water. Magnus jumps up and smiles and I smile back. Everyone looks shocked. I'm coping though. My brain is going into survival mode as I look around. We are on a sandy beach and suddenly a tube rises up onto the undisturbed sand. It opens. Only enough room for one at a time. I make a split second decision and stand up properly. Magnus jolts and looks up at me.
"No sage I'll go."
Nope. I'm definitely going. I tell him this and he argues. Then I get annoyed.
"Magnus. I know that you care but please stop doing this. I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself." He looks wounded.
"Sage are you sure you're ok."
"I said I'm fine alright!" I snap at him and immediately feel guilty. I squash it fast. There's no point. He needs to stop being overprotective.
I look up at the tube and walk off. I ignore the muttering behind me and step into the glass container. My combat boots clack on the ground as I tap my foot, suddenly nervous. It descends downwards and I look up. I see another tube above containing another person. Then I recognise the shoes and smile to myself. What are the odds that he would come straight after me. I wave upwards knowing he will be watching. Then I focus my mind as we descend into darkness.