Chapter 7: Darkness

Magnus:

The glass door slid open and me, Sage, Tyler and many other people that I didn't know stepped into the dim long corridor. "I'm guessing we need to walk down here then. Let's walk slowly and carefully. Stay together." Sage said, everyone nodded, we started down the corridor me and Sage at the front.

We were proceeding down the narrow path when the light went out, and everything was dark. Then we knew what this test was about. It was so that we could see in the dark. The darkness was thick and impenetrable, we were
surrounded by a thick cloak of invisibility. And boy was it scary.

We continued on, walking even slower. We could here a slow grinding noise, one that you hear when you scrape a knife on a plate, except it was getting louder. Louder. Louder. It was deafening now. Then it stopped, and then came the loudspeaker "there is a button hidden in this corridor, you will need to find it before it is too late. Save those you care about, leave those you don't. Only one can do this, choose wisely." It went off and silence took us over. "Go, I said. I will do this, I want to."
"No, I'm doing it." Sage tried to stay, but I didn't let her. Then the walls started closing in, just the section small enough for one of us, the section that contained the button. "Go!" I shouted, pushing Sage away, she screamed but it was too late. I was doing it. I was going to have to adapt.

The walls were pushing against my knees forcing me to draw them in, I fumbled about clumsily, trying to find the button. I wasn't quick enough, the darkness was too thick, the walls were too tight. Then something amazing happened, just like when my lungs adapted. My eyes burnt then went black, then went light. I could see everything. It was all light, and just before the walls crushed me, I clicked the button.