Chapter 19: Powers

Magnus:

I grab Sage's slim but strong arm and we walk together towards the coming light we can see ahead of us.

As we step out into it the room that we are now in becomes clear, that it is not in fact a room but the edge of the ship, and that 10 metres ahead of us is a drop of about 2 miles to the ground.

A rumble passes through the dark clouds that are surprisingly above us and we know that a storm is coming, a big one. "It's going to be a big one!" Sage says her eyes full of excitement. Sage has always loved storms and anything powerful to do with the elements, she just has this way of being around them and this curiosity that I have never quite understood.

I walk towards the edge and look up, at the stars that lie beyond the clouds, beyond humans. Something about the stars has always amazed me, the way that they are so untouchable and so powerful, vast beams of light that grow even bigger and then turn into millions of new ones. They were so beautiful.

We both jump when a huge lightning bolt cuts through the darkness of the night sky like a discord through the harmony of nature's absence of light. A rumble follows just 3 seconds after. When we were about 5 Sage told me that the amount of seconds after the lightning thunder hits is how many hindered meters away the lightning is.

Then the lightning strikes again but only 2 seconds after does the thunder come. Sage's eyes are full of awe and amazement but I'm beginning to worry. Again,
100 meters
Closer.
Sage looks at me and she no longer looks excited, she looks scared. Just as I am about to say something to comfort her she screams, looking at the clouds that were raging about us. A bolt was coming and it was going to hit me.

I watched it zigzag across the night sky coming in my direction, I could feel it's speed and I accepted my fate. That it would hit me. I had about 1 second left to live and that would be it. I closed my eyes and waited for it to be over. Then it hit me.

But not the lighting bolt, Sages hands that she had dived forward and pushed me with leaving herself in my position. I watched it hit her and her entire body spasm under its electricity. It had complete control of her body and there was nothing I could do.

Then the most amazing thing happened. The electricity stopped and she stood up, her eyes lit up the colour of lighting. She said "It's inside of me, I can control it!" She demonstrated by pushing her hand up into the sky and a lighting bolt followed. I was shocked and so so so so envious.

She could control wind and rain too, she had full control of the things that had fascinated her for her entire life. I took a step back because despite me trusting Sage with my life I did not trust her powers. Not yet.

And I was right to, she had just made a huge gust of wind and was about to unleash it towards the ground when she scratched her hair and accidentally sent it flying towards me. It knocked me completely off my feet and I was sent flying over the edge and began to plunge down towards my death.

I could hear her screaming and crying and I wanted so much to comfort her and tell her that it would be ok but we both knew I couldn't, that all I could do was wait for my death. I was looking at the stars now, I looked at the Milky Way and the snow plough and even smaller yet far bigger ones that lay beyond our galaxy.

I was looking over a newly exploded star when I felt my eyes being dragged towards a star slightly north east of the moon, I had never seen it before but now it was glowing extremely brightly. I stared at it completely amazed by its dazzling beauty. I knew my time was nearly up and I began to brace for impact when all of a sudden I felt a certain power surge through me.

It was a feeling that could not be explained. Only by the fact that I knew it was coming from that star, I could feel it's pull on my eyes and the power that it filled me with. Despite this though I was still falling. I was still going to die.

I looked down towards the ground and could tell I had about 10 seconds. I wanted to spend them looking at the star. But when I looked at it the power that I could still feel suddenly intensified to a certain degree I thought I would explode before hitting the ground.

9 seconds

My veins were glowing the same colour as the pale blue star.

8 seconds

My hands were glowing the very same colour.

7 seconds

It was spreading from my veins and into my body, especially my heart

6 seconds

The light began to grow brighter around my shoulders and even more so in my heart.

5 seconds

My breathing was slowing, I was becoming calm.

4 seconds

The brightness in my shoulders and chest was near blinding.

3 seconds

A huge searing jolt of power surged through my spine and into the place where the light was brightest on my shoulders

2 seconds

My shoulders burst open and a blinding beam on pale blue light shot out and took the form of huge wings that had the span of about 5 metres.

1 second

They solidified keeping their beautiful colour and began to beat, carrying me away from the ground. I touched them and my hand went straight through, even though they looked completely solid.

I was so surprised that my eyes were drawn from the star to the light my own heart was generating. The exact same power flowed through me and I knew this was my power.

I could channel the star slightly north east of the moon. I had wings and I was sure it meant other things too, I could feel it. I just didn't know how to display it. Not like the wings.

I flew soaring through the sky back up to the ship, towards the grieving Sage.

It took about 3 seconds for me to travel roughly 2 miles up and once I got up there Sage looked up at me with an expression of disbelief. I landed on the metal platform and took my eyes off the beam of light and on to the only thing I thought to be more beautiful, the person standing in front of me. When I took my eyes off my light a feeling of mass tiredness came over me and then I hit the floor.

Out cold.