Chapter 14: Freezing.

Sage:

Everyone was rushing around trying to grab last bits of wood for the fire but it wouldn't last long. I knew that, Magnus knew that, everyone knew that. But no one was giving up. Not yet.

The temperature was gradually dropping and I held back a shiver, glaring at the boy who ran at me earlier. Anger rose inside of me and I strolled over. If we're all going to die then I at least want to get one argument out of the way. As I approach him he looks at his friends and laughs.
"Ooohh. Looks like the princess is here. What's the matter sweetheart? No Prince Charming to save your ass?"
I shoot him a contempt filled look and start to turn away. As I'd hoped, he grabs my arm and I spin around lighting fast. I elbow him in the ribs and then knee him in the groin. He lets out a surprised groan and taking hold of his arm, I flip him over into his stomach and pin him down. Then I lower my voice into a purr.
"If you ever call me princess again or even think to threaten me, I will cut off your favourite part." I glance down. "Not that it would be much of a loss anyway." His face goes red with anger and I pat him on the cheek, a fake honey like smile plastered onto my face. I stand up and brush my shirt off. Then with a merry wave, I walk away. As soon as I turn around I see Magnus staring at me. There's a weird expression on his face but it quickly changes to amusement. I can see some others struggling not to laugh. I flip one last dirty gesture over my shoulder and go off to stand next to Magnus. The cold is really getting to me now and the hairs rise on my arms. He gives me my jacket and I take it with a nod of thanks. We sit by the fire and pile some more wood onto it. The flames leap up, warming us for a second. I glance at the thermometer next to me. -5. And decreasing fast. Panic blooms inside of me but I push it down. I'm not afraid of dying.
My fingers won't stop shaking with cold and people are starting to look really scared. We don't have enough wood to keep the fire going for much longer.

Everyone so shuffling closer to make a huddle of warmth. I'm pressed up against Magnus and I'm still cold. So so cold. My eyes start to close. Maybe if I just sleep for a while I'll be warmer later. He shakes me as I drift off.
"Do not fall asleep Sage. We don't know if you'll wake up," I nod at this and force my eyes open, looking at the temperature again.
-25.
Oh god.

Cold is everywhere, in my bones, on my skin, in everyone else. We've moved closer together and there are others asleep, who will never wake up. I take this in numbly, too frozen to feel grief. I can't feel my body anymore. I can't feel anything. I'm slipping off to sleep. Slipping off to warmth.
Perhaps it's time thinking about warmth that triggers it. I don't know. I never will.
Something flashes through me and I gasp. It was red hot. Magnus looks at me worried. It happens again. Stronger this time. Slowly and slowly, warmth flashes and spreads throughout me and the shaking stops. Magnus gasps and I know it's happening to him as well. It's happening to others. Not everyone. But most of them. My body is heating up quickly now, steam rising off me and my breaths are becoming deeper. I reach a normal temperature at breathe. In and out. In and out. In and out. In and out as my body evolves and goes back to normal.