010: Just to clarify

In a moment Maille was tired and Kell, sensing she was, pulled her up on the table with him, her legs dangling over the edge, his framing hers as he disentangled her long hair.

"Your mother." He said.

"Has long hair too." She finished, he pulled her to the side and gave her a funny look.

"It's a game." She laughed.

  "Ahhhhh."

"Your father..."

"Rides horses." She finished quickly.

"Your sister..." he shot at her with a casual lilt.

"Which one?"

  "Megan."

"Married cousin Stevie."

"In the family?" He was startled.

"Friend of the family, grew up together." She clarified.

  "Melia."

"Has two children."

He hesitated a second too long and Maille pulled away and turned to look into his eyes. "Ha! I won. You have to keep the beat or it's my turn."

His eyes were round in comprehension, but he nodded slowly, holding her hair carefully and moved her chin with one finger.

"Keep the beat." He repeated as he nodded at her again and expertly flipped her head back to the front so he could continue working on her hair.

"Your dreadlocks?" She went on.

"Costume."

"Your boyfriend."

"Not here." He replied, a sudden wariness in his voice that Maille didn't miss. "Where?"

  "Away."

"On a trip?"

"Out of sight."

"Your dog..."

"Newfoundland."

"Black?"

"Brown."

"Your cat."

"No cat."

"Fish?"

"Parana!" He ran the comb alongside her neck and then without warning bit her there. Maille squealed and ducked away, but he held her, scrambling over her to jump like a monkey off the table and check the laundry, he threw it all in the dryer and added a quarter.

"My game." He said as he resumed his place behind her.

"Yes?''

"Answer my question with a question."

"Okay." She'd played that game before.

"Why you were in wardrobe?" he began.

"Why were you there?"

"What is your favorite dress?"

"What color are your eyes?"

"Blue." He answered and then at her gasp and laugh he flicked her ear and started over. "What is your favorite speed to drive?"

"How old are you?"

"What is your favorite girl's name?"

"Why are you sitting behind me?"

"To brush your hair." He answered and then sighed. "You do that every time. You've played this game before."

She chuckled. "You noticed."