I read phone books

035: I read phone books

Myndee was sound asleep when they got there so they simply checked on her, and Kell signed the papers. He decided to go right away and get her the felt boards and coloring things he'd promised her, and he drove straight to a small out of the way art store, in downtown, which Maille thought was very unusual.

"How did you know this was here?" she said as they got out.

"I know." he said and laced her fingers easily.

"But, have you spent a lot of time in Salt Lake? I didn't think you were from around here."

"I'm not. I told you... New York."

She digested that. "No, I don't think you did tell me that, but I just figured you weren't from around here."

He held the door for her and then re-laced their fingers and moved expertly through the little store looking down aisles. When he didn't answer her question, she asked if he was an artist as well that he should be familiar with obscure art stores.

Kell gave her a look, that plainly asked why she cared, but she did, so she gave him a look back.

He stood her in front of the felt boards and markers. "I memorize phone books."

Maille burst out laughing. "You what?"

"When I go to new places, and I intend to stay awhile. I memorize phone books, and maps also... they are in phone books, no? That's how I know."

He huffed defensively, and Maille wondered what it would be like to have a photographic memory. To look at something once and always be able to recall it word perfect, or even sight perfect. A map? That was incredible too. But an entire phone book? "What, do you just flip the pages fast?"

"Maille!" he warned her, but Maille was interested for interest's sake, not just as a means to 'get to know him', those kinds of questions he normally fielded. He would prefer she made her own observations and he didn't tell her everything about himself. She'd come to realize that, somewhat. Except for today at the field overlooking the city and the Temple.

She squeezed his fingers as he thumbed through the felt boards. He gave her a sidelong glance, his dark eyes boring into hers. She grinned gamely, cocking her head to one side expectantly, waiting for his answer. "No. I study it. I read the phone books."

"You're kidding."

"Quit asking if that's your only reaction." he said sharply and Maille's mouth dropped open in shock.

"So, it bothers you that you have a photographic memory? I think it's awesome, wonderful, a blessing." she said, squeezing his fingers slightly, trying not to be offended at his tone.

Kell turned to her, grabbed her shoulders and clunked his forehead to hers painfully, and then be pushed. "I don't have a photographic memory. There is no such thing."