Basically Invisible

046: Basically invisible

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?" Maille whispered taking her hand and kissing her brow.

Myndee mumbled something, wanting to answer, but being too weak to do so. Maille sat at her side and began to talk again. She talked about Kell's dogs and Kiyah the monkey. She talked about Kell going on location, and how she would get to take care of the animals. She drifted into a reverie about Primary at church, about singing with her sisters, and about performing, and bow she would miss it.

Myndee squeezed her fingers every so often to let her know she was listening. Maille smoothed back her hair, feeling the coolness of the brow, as if the blood underneath the skin had already started its deathly spiral.

As she drove back over to the studio, Maille felt the tears prick her. She knew she had reserved reaction till another time, but there was something so forlorn and so pitiful about waiting to die. Her heart cried out in pain and sorrow, why her? Why this little girl?

Michael set her up with another young woman. She was to sing harmony, alto. She looked at the music, met the recording staff and then the singer came in. She recognized her at once from many trips to the studio. They greeted each other familiarly and Maille thought she would be able to get along. She was basically invisible to these kinds of people anyway; she'd been around them all her life.

She sang for three hours and then Michael told her that was enough for the day. Three hour sessions were Michael's norm. He gave her other music to learn, and then also told her the next day there would be two sessions.

She left for her appointment with her real estate agent.

The house she was shown this time was close to Kell's. Above his actually, on the hillside. It overlooked the city in much the same way his did, in fact had a gated entrance as his did, but it was much smaller. The piece of land was only a quarter what Kell's was. It wasn't a rental, it was for sale, but the agent had thought that maybe Maille would look at it, as it fit the description of what she was looking for, and indeed it did.

She walked through the small rooms, noting cream Berber carpet throughout, a small living room on one level by itself, stairs leading to the main floor with a kitchen, and two bedrooms, and a small dining room .There was a basement with a laundry room and an open office area, with a small family room.

Behind the house was a deck, and a hillside yard, nicely landscaped already. It was close to the studio where she would be working, and it had a garage for her car. Maille had never spent any of her money, and she'd been in a very popular band for four years. She had lots of money.

So, she bought the house.

There were papers to sign, the offer to be accepted, which was what they'd asked for so they were all pleased. Maille picked up keys and signed papers that afternoon and then went back over to see Myndee.

Myndee was still in intensive care, but she was sitting up now and watching TV. When she saw Maille her eyes lit up.