Don't Run to Me

Someone moved him out of the way. Kell stepped back, letting the doctor's start the IV, watching as Maille was draped in sterile blue cloths, nurses brought warm towels and tucked her upper body carefully as she shook. Her eyes were glued to his.

A nurse pressed him back to Maille's side as a young  doctor rubbed her stomach with antiseptic. Trays of sutures and other things were brought. 

The smell, the lights--- unfamiliar to them both.

Someone brought him a plush chair and he sat gratefully, his own legs feeling shaky as he viewed what she could not see, the deep penetrating rip in her skin now being cleaned, but still oozing a fair amount of blood.

"Maille." He stroked her hair, leaning close to her face, blocking her view.

"I don't get this, Kell. I don't get what I'm feeling."

His lips screwed up in remorse. His head cocked to one side, and he squeezed his eyes shut.

"I have always been safe, Maille, you are free to feel whatever you want. Your feelings will always be safe with me."

"But not reciprocated." She mumbled, as he laced their fingers, and held them to his chin. He hunched into himself, rocking back and forth, biting his lips as the full weight of the confusion he'd caused hit him.

"Yes, reciprocated."

Someone immobilized her other hand as they began to unwrap his makeshift bandage. Maille's turned momentarily to see a nurse lay her arm on soft pillows, the strapped into the padding so they could work on it. A cool antiseptic flowed over her stinging palm.

Her eyes snapped back to Kell's. "But you're..."

"I'm not, Maille. I'm not, okay?" he whispered raggedly.

"Not?"

''Never."

"Safe?"

"Always."

"It's okay to feel...." she was suddenly enlightened. He wasn't gay? Then these feelings, these very confusing feelings... were all right?

"Please feel, Maille." he kissed her neck and her chin and looked into her eyes. "Please feel." he repeated.

"Sir... you're going to have to move back now. Maille, can you stay calm? The IV is in, and you should be feeling less pain." Professional voices warned.

Kell stepped back from her. He was ushered out of the room. Maille felt sleepy and relaxed, and free of pain, in all ways. The confusion was leaving. It was okay to feel....

When she came to she was still in the ER. Her mom was sitting next to her holding her hand, rubbing the skin. Her dad was on the other side standing by her feet, talking to somebody, Steve. She was embarrassed. She fluttered her eyes, feeling groggy and indistinct. Where was Kell?

 He was sitting beside her, his head bent and resting on the pillow next to hers. She turned to him. Her mouth was to his ear. "You called my mom."