015: Two, Three, Four

Kell drove to a residential area about five blocks away and up the mountain even further. It was gated, and a long circular driveway framed a bi-level brick home. He pulled to the front door and got out hurrying around to open the door for her. Maille sat there, unable to move as she couldn't get the sarong around her without exposing herself again. Seeing her problem and not wishing to embarrass her further, Kell turned his back and went to unlock the tall white front door, which he now held for her.

"Yours?" she queried and at his nod, she walked by him into the open front room. It was all one big room. There was no furniture. The kitchen stood against the farthest away wall and a huge sliding glass door opened onto a deck overlooking the city. From this high up the lights sparkled and shimmered in glorious array and Maille was drawn to them like a child to Tinkerbelle.

"Mine." He said coming up behind her.

"You must have just moved here."

"Yes."

"It's very beautiful."

"But quite plain." He continued as if he were actually talking about something else.

The stairs were on the right side at the back and Kell took her hand and led her to them.

"Does that go to your bedroom?" she asked.

His eyebrows rose. "Of course."

"I'm not going up there."

Kell gave her a withering stare, then flounced back to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. He retrieved a chilled salad bowl with a large antipasto salad and several smaller bowls as well, set them on the pristine counter and as she walked over to him, he opened a drawer and brought out two beautifully wrapped linen napkins with forks inside. He opened the lower cupboard and pulled up a bottle of wine and two fluted glasses. His eyes bored into hers.

Maille took a step back. Her eyes narrowed. "You planned this."

"Yes."

"You went to a lot of trouble."

He nodded and uncorked the wine bottle.

Maille 's eyes riveted on it. "I don't drink."

Kell's eyes snapped up. "I know."

He poured two glasses and handed one to her. Maille refused to take it. Kell urged her to take the glass, she kept her fingers on the counter, although now they were turning white.

Was it a test? Was this peer pressure? She wouldn't know, surrounded all her life by people who knew her and knew her standards.

She wouldn't cave in on this one. She might dress in a peacock blue satin dress and parade around at fine restaurants, change into exercise clothing and go bumper boat riding, but she would not drink alcohol.

Kell cocked his head at her. It was dark now and the only light was from the skylight above them. And the open refrigerator.

It was a standoff. He held the glass out to her a little longer and then set it on the counter. It clinked in the silence and Maille winced as Kell placed both hands on the counter and drew in his train whistle breath as if searching the depths of his soul for patience.

Maille read the name on the bottle. She realized her mistake immediately. Non-alcoholic.

"Oh." She said and reached for the glass.

"No, no, no." he took it from her, then raised it to her and let her take it from him. He picked his glass up and they both sipped at the same time.

Kell's blue eyes held hers. She felt a moment's trepidation as if he were searching her soul, and then blinked down at the counter. Was everything a test? Why didn't he just do things normally? Why all the theatrics?

She wondered if he was simply amusing himself with her naivete while his boyfriend was out of town. He had to have a wonderfully full life with this boyfriend--- had to. He was a lot of fun all on his own. She couldn't allow herself to think what that meant in reality. Kell's boyfriend, who he must--- live with here? Sleep with?

The man exuded sexuality in every pore.

They set the glasses down at the same time, but Kell indicated with a snap of his head for her to take both glasses and he would bring their bowls. They went to the living room floor and sat cross-legged. Kell sat next to her again, his knees touching hers and he handed her a linen napkin with the carefully wrapped fork. Like a gentleman, he watched her take the first bite and considered her reaction before beginning his own meal.

They ate in silence, enjoying the sound of the wind outside as it picked up and rustled the trees. When they were done Kell jumped up and cleaned up the plates, immediately putting them into his dishwasher and wiping off the pristine counter.

Maille stretched and smiled, letting her long braids fall to the floor. She thought she should comment on the children's care center and on her conversation with Myndee, then thought she should ask more about his life and his movies, then the thought occurred to her that she would like to know more about his house.

Kell returned and sat next to her dealing out a hand of playing cards.

*****