Chapter Seven: Old Answers and New Questions

Darcie swallowed hard as Elvira asked the first question.

“What is your full name” Elvira asked.

Darcie took in a deep breath, “Darcie Dawn”

“Your parents’ names” she asked.

Darcie didn’t answer.

“Is there a problem?” Elvira asked.

“I don’t have parents, I have foster parents” Darcie said shyly.

“And their names?”

“Carol and David Smithson”  

Elvira narrowed her eyes, “And you do not share their name for what reason?”

“Because I never have.  I’ve always been Darcie Dawn and I’ve never stayed in one place for long enough to feel like I had to” Darcie explained though by the look on Elvira’s face she could tell she could done without the extra information.

“Where does your last name come from?” she asked.

Darcie hesitated, “I...I don’t know...”

Elvira’s crimson eyes narrowed further.  “Where were you found?”

“Excuse me?” Darcie said, she felt anger grow in her chest.

“You were not given up for adoption, you were found.  Am I correct?” Elvira said, her voice was even.

“How the hell did you know that!” Darcie yelled.

Elvira did not flinch.  “I am all knowing but I need you to answer these questions, now, where were you found?”

Darcie took in a deep breath, “Side of a highway.  An older couple found me after their car broke down...I was five and dressed in a hospital gown with cut and scrapes.  They didn’t know how to explain me, they looked for answers but never found any.  I was Darcie Dawn; I had no past, no anything.  I just appeared”

Elvira nodded slowly, “This is your final question.  Have you ever heard of Dark Angels?”

“No” Darcie said feeling a dizziness suddenly wash over her.  Images flickered through her mind of black winged Angels, men and women who held scythe, and blood.  So much blood.

She covered her ears and sank to the ground as the noises of war and death echoed in her mind.  She opened her eyes, she felt a cold sweat go down her back as well as on her face.  She sat up and looked up at Elvira who had a look of horror on her face.  

“Are you alright?” she asked.

Darcie was almost as surprised by her question as she was the images in her head, “Yeah...just...headache...” she lied.

Elvira nodded not questioning it, she looked over at the entrance.  “Darcie Dawn.  You have done nothing wrong.  You have never done anything to truly hurt someone...you deserve to live”

“But are going to kill me?” Darcie asked.

“No” she said firmly, “You deserve to live a long life without the knowledge of this world, but I can not mess with the mind in ways my associates can so I ask that you keep this world a secret.  You have never met Ernestine, Thanatos, or Mortimer.  Do you understand?  Much more is at risk than simply your life”

“If more risk, than why don’t you kill me?” Darcie questioned hesitantly.

Elvira seemed to smile, “Because that is murder, and we do not murder”

The curtain covering their only exit was drawn back as Damien walked forward alongside Valcon.  Darcie stood up, embarrassed she had allowed herself to fall and be so weak.