Chapter Eleven: Things That Shouldn't Be Known

Darcie’s eyes slowly opened just as Dr. Harris walked into the room; he paused and looked at Thane and Mo with curiosity as they talked to Era in hushed voices.  Slowly Thane and Mo turned toward him as he cleared his throat.

    “Maxwell and Daniel Ryder, I presume?” Dr. Harris said.

    “Yes!” Darcie blurted out.

Thane looked at her, obvious confusment painted his face.  

“Which of you is older?” the doctor asked.

Thane raised his hand still looking at Darcie, “I am.”

“And you are?” he asked.

“Maxwell.” he said, “Tell me, is she going to be okay?”

Dr. Harris sighed, “She has severe injuries and she tried to leave which reopened a few of the wounds we stitched...it’ll be a few days, possibly, before she can leave if that is what you’re asking, young man.” he said to Thane.

Thane nodded, “Thank you.”

“I must ask though, what was your sister doing that caused those injuries.” he paused, “And what caused your injuries and your brother's?” he asked observing the bruises, burns, and cuts that they hadn’t bandaged or been able to cover up with the new clothes they now wore.

“We race dirt bikes.” Thane said shortly, “Our sister is one of the best, but our parents don’t allow her to race, so I guess we should be thankful Darcie got us instead of calling our parents.” Thane smiled at her.

Darcie shivered, the smile was too friendly to be Thane’s.

“Yes, thankful, but those injuries are not consistent of a dirt bike accident...it is more of a knife, or sharp blade, even an animal.  Not a bike.” he said obviously doubtful of Thane.

Thane laughed, “That’s just like her to make it more dangerous.”

Mo nodded, “She liked racing, but stunts were more of her thing.” he added.

The doctor nodded, “Alright, I’ll be back in a minute...and I would like your parents’ numbers.”

“Why?” Thane asked.

“I doubt either of you are older than eighteen and can take responsibility for your sister.” he grumbled.

Thane bit down hard as the doctor walked away, “Idiot.”

“You aren’t older than eighteen, Thane.” Era said, “Now, did you two find my clothes?”

Mo nodded and brought a stone out of his pocket, he handed it to Era.  “We found your clothes, but they’re too torn up to wear” he said.

Era sighed, “You have any idea how cold it is out there?” she scowled.

“Since when has that matter?” Thane asked; he turned and walked to where Darcie sat.  She swallowed as he sat next to her, “So” he began, “How’d you hear of that name, Maxwell Ryder?”

Darcie gave a quick laugh, “It...it was a character in a book I read.” she lied.

Thane raised an eyebrow, “Darcie, you are a terrible liar.”

“Only to you.” she muttered.

“So?” he prompted as Mo helped Era stand.

“Kali Black, she told me it along with a few other aliases she said you use with your girlfriends.”

Thane sighed, “Of course she would say that.”

“Is it true, though?” Darcie asked.

“About what?  The girlfriend thing?  Eh, I’m never anywhere longer than a day or two really so it makes it hard to actually date someone.”