Chapter Four: Marks of Life

Darcie sat in the back of Thane’s car next to Era.  The body switch had begun to make sense as Era and Mo explained how joyous souls liked to play trick, often deadly tricks, and how they had been hit with a simple childish body switch trick.  Era then went on to lecture them about how careless they had been which had lead to Mo bring up something they referred to as the Werewolf Incident which quickly shut up Era.

“Werewolves exist?” Darcie asked timidly as Mo stopped laughing at Era’s defeat.

“Yeah, but don’t worry, Werewolves prefer thick woods to populated cities or towns.  Actually, many mauled souls are mistaken for Werewolves.” Mo said.

“Mauled souls?”

“The souls of mortals that were killed in an animal attack; usually a dog, bear, or wolf attack.  Those types of souls are rare seeing as the person had to be sent to Hell after they died in order to come back.” Mo explained.

“I still don’t get one thing though,” Darcie began, “People who are murdered or die in some incident usually they should be the ones not at rest and coming back...not people who were sent to Hell to suffer.”

“They come back at times...” Mo began.

“But sometimes it’s not that simple.” Thane continued, “Soul that aren’t at rest because they died at the hands of someone else are put into another category.  They usually do nothing wrong and are just looking for answers, they’re good in a way...but some become...”

“Unstable.” Era said.

“Yeah.  They end up becoming monsters then when we get sent in to kill them they go down to Hell instead of Heaven where they should have gone in the first place.” Thane explained.

“Death has three options: Heaven, Hell, and wandering.” Era said, “Your actions when living determines where you go, except wandering.  If you’re destined for Heaven you can wander if there are unanswered questions.”

“If you’re destined for Hell you go there no questions about it, but if you’re not at rest sometimes you rise and you get those things.  It’s our job to bring them down.” Mo said from the passenger seat.

“You’re like ghost hunters.” Darcie commented.  

The car screeched to a stop.  “We are nothing like that.” Thane muttered as he took out the keys, he held them rather than stuffing them into Mo’s pocket.  

Darcie looked out the window to see a cemetery, tombstones and all.  She looked back at Era who was waiting for her to get out.  “We’re at a cemetery?  I thought you said you weren’t serial killers?”

“We aren’t.” Era said annoyed, she sat back and put her hair up in a ponytail; the white streak in her hair still obvious in her hair.  

“Do you dye your hair?” Darcie asked.

“What?” Era asked.

“The white in your hair...it can’t be natural.”

“Ha, well I could say the same to you.” Era countered.

“Natural highlights are normal.” Darcie said as Era referred to the natural dark highlights in Darcie’s chestnut hair, “White streak aren’t.”

Era rolled her eyes, “They are for me.  This is natural, it’s sort of a...side effect.”

“Of?” Darcie asked hesitantly.

Era didn’t answer, instead she reached passed Darcie and opened the door before pushing Darcie out into the cemetery.  Darcie stumbled out of the car surprised by the strength Era had.  She looked around and clutched her navy blue jacket, she had always hated cemeteries and the feeling of darkness they held.