Chapter Twenty-Six: Old Memories and Familar Faces

Darcie stepped into the room, towards the little girl, towards the five year old version of herself.

She didn't remember this place, she didn't remember anything about it.  Not the empty hallway, the pink and grey quilt, not even the the song little Darcie hummed.

She saw Alex walk in and stand to her left, "I'm amazed.  You have quite a unique past."

"I don't remember this." she murmured.

"Part of you does." he said walking forward.

Darcie grabbed his arm and held him back, "Don't go near her." Darcie said sternly.

Alex looked between her and little Darcie, "I can't do anything to hurt or distort your memory, Darcie, and why would I even want to?"

Darcie let go, "I...I don't know."

"Exactly." Alex said shortly.  He turned toward little Darcie, as he did the sound of the hospital doors opening echoed through the hospital's empty halls.

Little Darcie giggled and jumped off the bed, she ran out of the room going through Alex and Darcie as if they were but mere shadows in her way.

Darcie looked out into the hallway, she didn't remember this either, just running.  Alex and Darcie walked out of the room and into the hallway where a woman dressed in a floral print dress stood; her eyes were a bright blue while her hair was a pale blond that have been woven into a tight braid.

"Mommy!" little Darcie giggled running down the hall, she wrapped her arms around the woman's legs.  "How was your day, mommy?  Did you bring me something to eat?  Or something to read?"

The woman stroked little Darcie's short, knotted chestnut hair.  "Did you remember anything?"

Little Darcie unwrapped her arms from around the woman's legs, she laced her fingers together and held them in front her her while rocking back and forth on her heels.  "I just remember my name, mommy."

"Which is?" The woman questioned.

"Darcie...Darcie Dawn."

"No!" The woman snapped, "That is not your name!"

Little Darcie flinched at the harsh words, "I...I'm sorry, mommy.  Are you mad?"

The woman's eyes narrowed slightly, "Yes.  You haven't presented a real name to me, instead you give me your pathetic nickname."

"I'm sorry, mommy, but it's the only thing I know.  Mommy, I don't know what I’m looking for..."

"A name, and not Darcie Dawn!" the woman sighed, "I beginning to wonder if I made a mistake." she whispered to herself.

"Darcie." Alex began, "You remember any of this?  Do you remember that woman?"

Darcie shook her head, "No, and I'm having a hard time believing this is my mother."

"A mother could be many things, Darcie.  She could have just raised you." Alex said.

Darcie looked at him, "No, David and Carol raised me, not this woman.  David and Carol are the closest thing I've ever had to parents.  I refuse to believe this woman raised me and that I ever called her 'mommy'."

At the mention of David and Carol Alex quickly looked away from Darcie, she wanted to question him when the sound of her younger self's voice drew her attention away.

"Mommy?  Please don't be mad, I'm trying really hard!  I just don't know what I'm suppose to be remembering..."

"Anything important."