Chapter Nineteen: A Demigod Named Alex

Thane’s car turned onto what appeared to be an abandoned dirt road.  Darcie felt the cold air through the window of the car, she put her hand on the glass and smiled.  She enjoyed the cold, despite the harsh conditions it could sometimes create.

She looked out the window and watched as the grassy fields and town in the distance turned into a huge, beautiful, clear lake.  The car stopped and Darcie looked forward, out the windshield, at the house in front of them.  A medium side bungalow type house sat about thirty feet away facing the road while the lake was to it’s right.  The trees that circulated the lake seemed fuller and taller around the house as if their true purpose was to hide the house from any locals.

Thane looked at Darcie, “Warning, I guess.” Thane bit his lower lip then sighed, “Alex is...uh...a little crazy at times.”

Darcie looked back at Era who shook her head, “No one can truly describe him, alright Thane, besides we haven’t known him long enough to even begin describing him.”

“And yet we trust him with Mo’s life?” Thane snapped.

“What choice do we have?” Era muttered opening the car door and shutting it behind her.

Thane’s head hung low while his eyes were closed.  Darcie almost felt bad for him, she almost felt like trying to reach out and offer support or help, but she decided against it as she thought it would just make things worse.

Darcie opened her door and walked to be next to Era; she noticed that Era’s hair was knotted so that a few stands of her white hair were knotted with a few of her black.  

Era looked over at her and sighed, “Ready?” she asked.

Darcie didn’t know why Era was asking her, but Darcie nodded anyway.  Era smiled and started toward the door; Darcie looked back at Thane’s car to see Thane leaning on the hood waiting for them to knock on the front door.

She jogged up next to Era who took in a deep breath before releasing it.  Era knocked on the wooden front door; Darcie felt her chest tighten as footsteps were heard from behind the door, she held her breath as it opened.

A boy no older than Thane opened the door.  He stood at about 5’11” had bright forest green eyes, tanned skin, and unkempt dirty blond hair.  He wore a plain grey crew neck T-shirt, a pair of faded jeans, and a pair of socks.  A series of tattoos covered the majority of his right arm; from what Darcie could tell they were mostly nature oriented while a few resembled the symbols on Era’s wrists.

The boy smiled.  He stepped forward, picked up Era and spun in a circle before putting her back down.  Darcie was amazed when she didn’t threaten him, instead Era gave a small smile.

“Oh, uh, this is Darcie Dawn.” Era said as she noticed Darcie’s lost look, “Darcie, this is Alexander Clifton."     

“Oh, please, call me Alex.” he said with a smile, Darcie saw him look over her shoulder toward Thane and his car.  “Not a social call I take it?”

Era sighed, "When is it ever, Alex.  We’re in a bit of trouble and could use some help, Mo was stabbed with a Scythe Stone’s weapon.”

Alex winced as if the thought hurt, “Alright, tell Thane to bring him in.” Alex said going into his house while leaving the front door wide open.

Era waved at Thane who nodded in return, Darcie followed her as she stepped into Alex’s house.

At first Darcie thought the interior of the house would be cluttered, that it would contain random items that hung from the wall and sat randomly in the center of the room.  Instead the walls were a rich, dark colored wood that were bare of any odd items.