7. Monster

{7} Song: 'Monster' by Paramore

The rain has reduced to a mere drizzle so the glare of the full moon was powerful. The vanilla scented candles have been symmetrically arranged on the white silk table cloth. Klaus is impeccably dressed in a black suit with a bow tie, waiting for Lisa's arrival. Its seven thirty and he has planned this dinner since his little quarrel with Kol. Klaus could sense it, that Kol's loyalty lies elsewhere. But it was bound to happen so Klaus didn't really take it seriously or personally for that matter. He glanced at his watch. He told Ruth to send Lisa down here half an hour ago. How long is it to put on a dress and heels? Then he remembered Lisa was a seventeen year old girl, but she appealed to be more of a bookworm than a party animal. Nevertheless, where is she?

He let out an impatient sigh when Ruth opened the door and finally Lisa arrived. It was worth the wait. As she approached he couldn't take his eyes of her. He bought her a white sequined dress that clung onto her body with cobalt heels. Her brown wavy hair was out and the candles illuminated her facial features beautifully.

"You know, the dress was unnecessary." Lisa said as she sat adjacent to him. She tried to conceal the awe she felt when she walked in here. It's like every girl's dream dinner date. Except this wasn't a date, to Lisa anyway.

"But it looks good on you." Klaus replied and he meant it.

"This isn't a date." Lisa pointed out quickly. Klaus chuckled lightly.

"I thought dinner was an appropriate arrangement to get to know each other."

"This isn't a date." She repeated.

"Perhaps we could be friends then." He suggested with a smirk.

"Define friends because last time I checked friends don't lock each other up in a room and guard it with hybrids." Lisa tried to sound irritated but failed. Everything in this room made her feel tranquil. Klaus sighed.

"I know you're mad at me," he said quietly. His eyes fell onto the red rose in his right hand which was intended for her. "I just feel like there's more to you than meets the eye." He twirled the stem in his hand casually. Lisa saw the rose. Nope, this isn't good. He's getting all romantic. She has to steer away from that. Must. Provoke. Him.

"Look, I'm not some ancient artifact you can scrutinize all day Klaus." She testified.

"It's that daring attribute of yours that lures me." He smiled. Nope, not good enough. Time for the guilt-trip, Lisa thought.

"I want to go home, to my family who are probably worried sick about me. For all I know there's a search party out there." When those words left her mouth she felt a terrible stabbing pain in her stomach. The thought of her parents made her queasy. First they have to deal with Melanie's death and then her disappearance. They must be heartbroken.

"I've sort that out. I had Kol leave a letter on the kitchen table. It seems you have run off with the love of your life, a clichéd teenage romance." Klaus said impressively.

"You did what?" No more miss-goody-two-shoes. "Do you not know what it feels like to have your parents care about you?" she raised her voice in agitation.

"No," Klaus replied sadly. What? Lisa looked at him perplexed. Klaus let out a heavy sigh and then explained. "To care is to love and I don't feel that. It's a numb emotion to me. I never felt 'loved' by either of my parents. I was hunted centuries on end by Mikael because I was an abomination, half vampire, half werewolf. I wasn't his son. I was a disgrace to him. And then my mother Esther rises from the dead and tries to massacre our family because she created monsters that weren't supposed to exist. My parents never cared about me. Their number one priority was always to destroy me and the monster within. So no I don't know what it feels like," It was silent for a long time. Lisa didn't understand some of the things he mentioned like rising from the dead. But he got his message across. She couldn't really blame him anymore. "But with you, Lisa. I might be able to." Klaus looked deeply into her eyes. She immediately averted his gaze. This isn't good. Provoke him. Kol's words bounced annoyingly through her head. You must confront him with all his unethical practices. This was extremely hard to comprehend. In the end...she gave in.