10. Revenge

{10}

Song: 'Too little too late' by JoJo

When Klaus followed Elijah to the drawing room, he felt a bit anxious, which was an absurd feeling. For him. Elijah just had so much authority over him, he is modest and noble and older and his morals just speak to you, makes you feel guilt for all the sins you committed. That is why Klaus listens to his brother. It's probably his voice, it has such a calm power to it, or the way he speaks with his hands, always gesturing to add emphasis. Nevertheless, Klaus is a hybrid, a thousand year old hybrid, and Elijah was his brother, surely this was just a lecture about daggering your siblings, again. Surely no-one was dying. He had nothing to worry about.

"So what brings you to New Orleans, Elijah?" Klaus said as he took a seat. Elijah made no eye contact, pacing around the room, his expression so fiercely determined. The daggers were still in his hands, he has a rather crushing grip on the handles.

"I had arrived at the Mikaelson Manor only to be greeted by your hybrids and two occupied coffins-" he started.

"I did what was necessary to protect Lisa. They tried to kill her." Klaus seethed. He despised them. The way Rebekah and Finn had teamed up against him to murder Lisa. Images of the lounge room scene whizzed through his mind, making his teeth grit.

"And now Finn is dying." Elijah shot back, time to get to the point. Klaus was about to retaliate when a wave of bemusement washed over him.

"Dying? But he's an Original."

Elijah's face darkened.

"That's what I thought until I had Dakota look into it. Mother cast the spell on Lisa, to eliminate us, Niklaus. He bit her and lost his fangs, her blood is still in his system, killing him. There's no cure. He can't feed and now he's hallucinating, destroying the place if Dakota hadn't bound him to a safe room." Klaus fell silent. "Don't you see, Lisa is a weapon mother is using against us. And you know what happens when an Original is killed, their whole bloodline collapses."

"So you're going to blame Lisa for Finn's misfortune?" It didn't seem fair. Lisa didn't ask to be cast.

"No, I'm not. But I don't appreciate you dismissing your family matters over her. I understand that Caroline is here, but tonight, it didn't seem like you've made your mind up." Elijah speculated.

"That's because I haven't." Klaus replied simply.

"She must be pretty special then, considering that you fell head over heels for Caroline back in Mystic Falls." Elijah was actually surprised that Klaus is hesitating. He would have thought Caroline would have been the easy pick of the two. But Klaus' expression said otherwise, because with great defense he said.

"She is special. And I don't care that mother cast a spell on her to kill us off. Did you know when Rebekah poisoned Lisa and I had no other option but to suck out the poison, she stopped me. She stopped me because she knew that if I bit her, I would lose my fangs. She protected me even though that meant she would die. A human, would give her life up for me. So yes, she is special. And I don't care if you see her as Esther's weapon, she's dangerous to me, but in the best way possible."

Elijah smiled inwardly. He could see Klaus' humanity resurfacing and it was because of Lisa. Maybe she was good for him after all. And no he didn't blame Lisa for Finn dying. He knew that Finn bit her, with the intention to kill, it was karma. But he won't deny being angry with Esther. A mother who tries to destroy her own family...isn't really a mother at all.

*

The sun, a danger to most vampires, unless of course, they wear a witchcraft ring that prevents them from burning. Sometimes for fun, crazy as it seems, Caroline takes her ring off and touches the sunlight that streams from her bedroom window. She's hiding behind the curtains, watching her hand scorch. That's the kind of burn, she felt when she met Lisa. What the hell is Klaus trying to do? Make her jealous? Well, it worked! To be honest she didn't think he would do such a thing, toy with a human girl to spite her. She left everyone behind just to finally be with him and he....argh! She couldn't forget about dinner last night. He was holding her hand and smiling at her. Lisa might not be able to be compelled but it was obvious she had feelings for him too.