9. Awkward

{9} song: 'All in my head' by Tori Kelly

When Lisa finally fell asleep in her plane seat, Klaus let his nerves surface. He couldn't think of a worse time for Caroline to finally want to be with him. Of course, he still likes her. He had a crush on her the moment he met her back in Mystic Falls. He wanted her to come to New Orleans since her graduation but she was with Tyler. Now Tyler's out of the picture, she's all his...except there's one problem he didn't want to get rid of. He looked sideways at Lisa's tranquil face. He won't deny his feelings for this one, just like he won't deny their first kiss.

But he's already made a mess of things without even trying. He didn't call Caroline to cancel her trip and he's still taking Lisa to New Orleans, there's bound to be a clash. He sighed deeply. Not awkward at all, Klaus, not awkward at all.

*

It wasn't like his siblings to ignore his phone calls. He did tell Rebekah that he was coming home and she sounded delighted to hear that. So where is she, and more importantly, where is everyone? The place was abandoned. There were few hybrids lurking around. He approached Nate.

"Where is Rebekah?" He decided to ask. The question unsettled Nate because he wasn't sure if it was his rightful place to tell Elijah. His eyes fluttered to Ruth, who unlike Nate, found her voice. It wasn't like Klaus had sworn them to secrecy or something.

"Contained." She hinted. Elijah knew exactly what that meant.

"Who else?"

"Finn." This time it was Nate who dared to give away the information.

"Looks like Niklaus has been up to his old tricks, yet again." Elijah said, exasperated. He massaged his temples.

"Actually, it's quite an interesting story, one worth listening to. Klaus left for New Orleans hours ago with Lisa Mourad." Ruth explained, the corners of her lips perking upwards. Lisa, the human girl she had the privilege of babysitting. Elijah instantly recognized the name.

"Lisa Mourad? The missing seventeen year old? She's still alive?" He asked, surprised. Ruth nodded. Elijah had suspected that vampires were responsible, like they are with most news headlines. But Niklaus kidnapping a human? That's a first. Maybe she's a doppelganger and Klaus is using her blood to make more hybrids, just like Elena Gilbert. But when Ruth mentioned her name, it wasn't out of spite, it was something else entirely.

"Well then, that interesting story awaits." Elijah was going to book the next available flight to New Orleans but first, he must undagger his siblings.

*

New Orleans is a major tourist attraction and just peering from the limo that Klaus has hired, was proof. Lisa beamed excitedly at the architecture and the lively vibe everyone seemed to radiate. She's never been to New Orleans before and so far, it's just as great as Klaus had described it on the plane ride. He didn't even omit the part where it's infested with vampires who control witches and banish werewolf packs. Lisa was a little bit weary about it. He informed her about Marcel, and how he plans on claiming the throne once again. Sounds like war.

The limo pulled into a long driveway, similar to the Mikaelson Manor but only grander. It had the letter 'M' embellished at the front and on the gates in gold. Lisa wondered if it represented 'Mikaelson' or 'Marcel'. Klaus opened the door and led Lisa inside with a pleased look. This was his palace, and New Orleans was his kingdom. Marcel will bow down to him. He will make sure of it.

After Klaus gave Lisa a little tour around the mansion, he wanted to take her to dinner somewhere in the French Quarter. Lisa was surprised to find an outfit laid on her bed. Gold sequinned dress with black strapped stilettos. It's either, Klaus has a secret fashion designer, or he secretly wants to be a fashion designer.