13. Funeral

{13}

Song: 'Over the love' by Florence and the Machine

Black. It didn't look right on Lisa. Her mother had laid out a black dress with stockings and ankle boots out on her bed but she stood there staring at it with emptiness. She didn't want to wear it because wearing black would mean she's submitting to the inevitable truth that Caleb was gone. Dead. But her mother managed to get her into the funeral attire, it was a sad and slow process. Caleb's death changed her. It's frustrating for Lisa because everyone ignorantly believes Caleb died in a tragic fire along with Sophie and the Coven of Witches. Klaus had set the place alight once he decapitated the witches and retrieved Lisa. But obviously Caleb didn't die in the fire...because before he perished...he was already dead.

"I killed him." Lisa whispered to her reflection. It wasn't some fire that had the public convinced, no, Caleb's death was a result of her curse. She is responsible for this. "I am the monster." Lisa concluded. It didn't matter that Sophie kidnapped her and used Caleb as bait. It didn't matter that Klaus's rescue team came too late. No. She was the was one who told him to feed. She had Sophie's blood stained on her neck and hands and she was the one who offered it to him. And he bit her. And he died. So it was her fault.

Lisa sank to her knees, with a palm placed on the mirror, her chin resting on her chest. It was too much. Everything that has happened was all too much. And it was all because of her. She was the one who couldn't be compelled. She was the one who Rebekah wanted dead. She was the one who killed Finn. And now she killed her best friend...

"Lisa, honey, it's time to go." Her mum knocked gently on the door before coming in. "Lisa..." She went and hugged Her daughter, who was curled into a ball in front of her mirror stand. There were no tears, just the absolution of defeat. "I know it's hard, trust me. This year has been...there were so many young lives lost this year, with Melanie and Chace. I know losing Caleb is probably the toughest loss to overcome right now, but honey, his time was up. Now he has the privilege of being remembered by you." Remembered and then forgotten...isn't that how all deaths go? Eventually, those who die will be dead to the world.

If only her mum knew...knew what a monster she was...knew what kind of blood ran through her veins.

*

Cecilia adjusted Klaus' black tie before deeming him fit for the funeral. She was the one who had warned him about Lisa's abduction. He had Elijah and Hayley search for his daughter, Alyssa just to rescue Lisa. Yes, daughter. Eighteen years of age, gorgeous, emotionally damaged but resilient and kind. They think she is being held hostage by some psychotic werewolf hunter named Rager. But Dakota has located her...and she's in the Lockwood cellar. Klaus plans to return to Alyssa but he couldn't afford losing Lisa, she's just human, a remarkable one. It's been a hectic forty-eight hours since everything happened and it feels like things are about to get even more exhausting for Klaus and Lisa. She could feel it.

"I could have done that." Caroline said, referring to Klaus's suit and tie. Cecilia rolled her eyes and put on her black opal earrings, even she was going to Caleb's funeral. "I don't get why you are going." Caroline stroked Klaus' face, kissing and nibbling at his neck. He would have let her keep going if it wasn't for their current circumstance. This was not at a time to fool around. He pushed her away gently.

"Lisa would have never been taken by those witches, if I had paid more attention to Sophie's plans. And if I had not drew Lisa away in the first place....I could have prevented all of this." Klaus replied. He felt bad for everything that had happened to her, sleeping with Caroline whilst she was under the same roof...he can see now why she hates him. And now to make matters worse she has lost her best friend, none of which would have happened if he hadn't slept with Caroline and drove her away. In saying that, he refused to use Caroline as an excuse. He still has a soft spot for her.