Twenty-four

"Your bond. She couldn't feel you. She thought you died"

 She thought you died"

I stare at Jace. Izzy would have known for sure if I die. And I'm not dead. Why would she think I had died.
"That's not possible?" I tried to sound positive, but I wasn't sure myself. "She would have known, right?" He just shrugged.

"I'm just gonna shower. Make yourself at home. You know where everything is" I told him, as I walked to my closet, pulling out a pair of black leather pants and a black crop top.

"Yep" he plopped into my bed as I closed the door to the bathroom.

Stripping my sticky clothes off of my body, putting the card that held the cup- that somehow stayed in my boot- in the small box that sat on the counter, I step into the warm water, watching the blood and goo and dirt swirl down the drain.

I only got out when the water became cold.
Wrapping myself in a towel i stepped out, pulling on a Bra and underwear.

Then turning my head, I caught a glimpse of my back in the mirror. I froze.

On my back, were my runes, completely visible, but what startled me, was that there was what looked to be, a very large rune looking thing, drawn not in black, but in white.

Well, whatever this is, was white, it made up what looked like a pair of wings, stretching across my shoulder blades, the lower feathers reached just below my mid back. My runes could be seen through it, like they had been burned through them. Or the white couldn't go over the black.

Although you could see a slightly glittering line across the Rune, where the white line would be.

Reaching my hand over my shoulder, the shirt forgotten, drops to the floor, as my fingers touch the glimmering white lines, in wonder.
They didn't hurt. They didn't have a different feel then my skin. Yet, when I touched the lines, it felt as if electricity ran through them, like a slight buzz.

When I ran my hand along them, they were smooth with my back, yet, they felt, as if they were pulsing.

They were level with my skin, yet Kind of felt like when you get cold, and the veins in your feet pop? Like that.

Anyone else would have freaked out. I mean, how did it even get there?
But I was completely calm. It felt right. It wasn't unsettling.

I did know, that I couldn't let anyone see it. I knew this had something to do with this whole "Valentine's weapon" thing.

And if they see it, they ask questions, and asking questions...

I don't have many answers, for myself yet, let alone them.

That, and I can't let them know I've had any kind of contact with Valentine. They know that, and I'm considered a traitor. I'll be arrested, put on trial, then stripped of my runes. Or killed. Without my Runes, I'd practically be dead. I'd be forced to live as a mundane.

And that wouldn't be too bad. But it would kill me to never see the Lightwoods again. Or Jace. I couldn't live like that.

I pulled on my clothes and opened the door. Seeing Jace asleep on the bed. Smiling, I snuck over to my wardrobe and pulled out a large shirt,  changing it for the one I was wearing, as it didn't cover the wings.

With the shirt on, I climbed into my bed, that Jace was already asleep in, laying my head on one of my pillows, pulling the blankets over us, looking at his face.

Asleep, he looked so vulnerable, relaxed, peaceful, he looked human. All the walls he puts up everyday disappear, his blonde hair fell in his face.

I tried to sleep, but three things kept me awake.
the thought of the wings on my back.
The memory of the whoever- whatever put me on the steps of the institute.
And Valentine.

I have two weeks. But I doubt he'll give me the full two weeks.
But what do I do? Do I go against my friends? My family? And keep them alive.
Or do I stand and watch their death? Then die myself?

I don't know.

So I do the only thing I know how to, and go to Isabelle.

I got out of bed, slowly. Carful not to wake Jace, I slip out the door, and walk into Isabelle's room.

"Izzy?" I whisper.
"Hey, how are you doing?"
"Can I, uh, come in?"
"Yeah"

I walk in and Isabelle smiles weakly at me, Clary is sitting on her bed.

"Hi" I wave at her.
"Should I go?"
"No, you could help" I say, realizing I trust her almost as much as Isabelle. "You're part of the team. And I trust you"
At this, she beams, patting the spot next to her, telling me to sit, and I do, Isabelle sitting next to me.

"So, uh, I need you guys to swear that you won't tell anyone. Not even Jace or Alec"
"Of course" clary nods.
"We won't" Iz takes my hand.

"Okay, you see, I didn't tell you guys what happened..." I started recounting everything.

Thirty minutes later, I finished telling them everything

"Wow"
"Wings?"
"Yeah, wow, wings"
"And it's like a Rune?" Isabelle asked
"Yeah, I don't know if it does anything, but it's creepy"

"It just showed up?" Clary squints.
"Yeah. You wanna see?" They both nod.

I stand, turn around, and take off my shirt.
Clary and Iz both gasp.
"It's so pretty!" Clary gasps
"She's not wrong" Isabelle shrugs.
"It's just, why did it show up? What is it? A Rune?" I put my shirt back on.

"I don't know. What ever it is, it's neat"
"Thanks, Iz" I say sarcastically.

{Isabelle's POV}

"You're very welcome"
"Well, I better get back, before Jace wakes up and panics. Don't tell anyone" Bex sighs.

"Night" Clary and I say as one.

As soon as her foot steps are gone, Clary turns to me, a grin on her face.
"What?"
"I have a plan!"
"A plan?"
"A plan" she confirms.

"Okay.."
"We are gonna make Bexie and Jace admit that they're in love!" She claps, making me grin.
"I was thinking the same thing"

"Well, I know how!" She squeals. I knew she was like me!

{Jace's POV}
I woke up when Bex tried to sneak back in the room.
"You're not sneaky" I yawned.
"Shut up"
"Where did you go?" I wasn't being nosy, just asking.
"I saw izzy"
I grunted in response as she lays down beside me.

She snuggles closer to me, yawning, and I wrap my arms around her, as her breathing tells me she's asleep.

I start drifting off to sleep. Holding her in my arms.