Chapter Twenty: Paper Cut (2/2)

Levy

     I could almost see it.

     Our chances of alliance, our chances of saving Gajeel, were slipping before my eyes.

    "Yajima-sama! What is the Spriggan Twelve?" Chapati asked the elder, whom grunted in thought.

    "The Spriggan Twelve is an elite group that originates from the country of Alverez, this group is known to protect their emperor whose status and name is unknown. Since Alverez is namely made up of powerful wizard guilds and that the twelve are hand-picked by the emperor himself, I fear that Fairy Tail is in quite the jam this time around if what this girl says is true," He said, looking genuinely concerned.

     I looked away from the arena and to everyone else here with us; Bixlow and Evergreen were paling, Makarov was scowling at the floor, Wendy was trembling with tears in her eyes, and Lucy looked genuinely concerned. I looked back to the arena and saw Erza stand up, using her fairy sword as a helper as she got to her feet. Malala's eyes were cold and calculating as she swiped the sheet of paper from her necklace and placed it back in her pouch as the last of her dress turned white again, replacing it with a sheet of indigo. Erza issued a battle cry and lunged at Malala with incredible speeds, her dress turned to a shade of indigo with her hands held behind her back, Erza jabbed and slashed at the woman quickly but Malala was keeping pace to her, smiling all the while. Erza switched from her fairy armor to flame empress armor with the sea empress sword in hand, Malala paled at the sight and jumped farther away from her opponent, her smile faltering a bit.

     That's right! Fire and water destroy paper! I know Erza knows this, so if she keeps herself in her fire and water equipment with enough tricks up her sleeve to survive Malala's attacks, she'll win in no time!  I felt a wide smile play at my lips. Erza has this round in the bag, no doubt about it!

    Malala held out her hands and a large silver magic circle appeared before her. "Paper Blizzard: Yellow Dance!" She shouted, sheets of paper flew out from the circle and flew in Erza's direction quickly. But Erza knew how to avoid this, she switched out her sword into an iron foraged one and threw it high up into the air, the yellow paper flew up towards the sword and electrocuted it. Malala smirked and I recognized the sudden hungry look in her eyes, that glint, those eyes were the eyes of someone who had a plan.

    "Paper Blizzard: Red Dance!" She chanted, flaming paper flew out from the magic circle and towards Erza. Erza slashed her weapon and water flew from the blade like a wave at the paper. While she was doing that, Malala's dress turned indigo in color, her body dispersed into the sheets of paper and she flew high into the skies, she re-materialized an fell from the sky just as Erza looked around in question. She kicked Erza into the dirt and back flipped away from the girl. Erza jumped to her feet and sprinted at Malala again. Malala held out her hand again.

    "Paper Blizzard: White Dance!" Paper flew at Erza and stuck to her, freezing the girl in place. It didn't last long before the snow melted to water on her flame empress armor, but Malala was ready for that change. "Paper Shuriken!" She drew a yellow ninja star from a small magic circle and threw it expertly at Erza, the requip mage screamed in agony as the lightning electrocuted the water on her armor, causing a massive explosion. Everyone had to cover their faces to avoid the worse of the attack. I coughed and felt my lip tremble as salty tears slid down my cheeks, all the hopes I had of saving Gajeel were... No, Erza won't give up until she's dead, that much I know!

     When the dust cleared, I saw Erza kneeling over, coughing up blood as the burns on her body bubbled and bled, she wheezed loudly and blood sprayed from her lips. Malala watched the girl quietly, she looked slightly winded and had a few deep gashes here and there, but she looked like she could run a marathon and go another mile without getting tired.