December 13th

The last small gig Pentatonix had in New York was are recording session where they played just three songs, starting with Joy to the World, then doing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, before closing with That's Christmas to Me, their very first original Christmas song.

It still had a lot of meaning, especially to Scott who came up with the idea. And he remembered writing it just as if it had been only yesterday:

~

Scott was sitting in the living room, a piece of paper before him. He was determined to write the band's first Christmas original.

The fact that it was July didn't help a lot and so didn't the fact that he was determined to write the best thing he had ever written, he wanted to include feelings, really capture the what Christmas meant to him in this song. So far there was quite a pile of crumpled papers, ideas which weren't worth continuing.

It just wouldn't work. Nothing would.

Scott leaned back and just let his thoughts wander, back to when he was a child. How Christmas used to be back then when there still was this special aura surrounding the feast. An aura which it slowly lost when he grew up. Presents weren't longer brought by Santa Clause but by parents, grandparents and others, everything surrounding Christmas just lost its magic a little bit.

But maybe... he could try to capture that magic in a song, so people everywhere would remember what Christmas was about for him as a child.

He made notes of things he wanted to include:

- a fire burning
- warmth
- reindeer
- music
- Christmas tree
- mistletoe
- Santa Clause
- stockings
- snow
- family

It took him some time to finally put them all together, but in the end he somehow made it work. He was just singing the whole thing once more, listening for any rough parts, he just wanted to make sure that it was what he had wanted the song to be.

While he was singing, he heard the door open and then Mitch's voice ringing through their apartment. "I'm home, Scottie."

"Living room" Scott called back while making last changes of the text. He had decided that he could show the song to Mitch, hoping he would like it.

"Hi!" Mitch sat down next to him and looked at the paper. "Are you writing? I thought I heard you singing."

Scott nodded. "Yeah... I thought about writing an original Christmas song for the album. Something own, something Pentatonix. This is what I came up with. I want to call it That's Christmas to Me"

Mitch took some time to read through Scott's notes and nodded. "This is wonderful" he said. "Will you sing it to me?"

Scott nodded. "Yes." He cleared his throat and then just started to sing, focusing on the still new lines. He wasn't surprised when Mitch started to harmonise on the second verse and the refrains.

"Here we need to have some kind of bridge" Scott said once he had finished. "And then the chorus once more, if we decide to do this. What do you think, Mitch? Is it worth showing the others?"

"Are you being serious right now?" Mitch asked. "If you ask me, we should name the whole album after this song. This is worth showing it to the whole world, Scott. I love it. It's making me emotional and it reminds me of my childhood. I feel warm inside listening to it."

Scott smiled sheepishly. "You think so?"

"Yes, I do think so" Mitch stated. "We don't need to do much with it. Just some harmonies, but I would keep it quiet and simple. Just the five of us singing it. Believe me, it's going to be wonderful."

~

Scott smiled to his friends after they had ended. They were all happy and looking at the small audience, he knew that they had succeeded once again.

Mitch had been right all those years ago. The song needed to be brought out to the whole world to make people happy and feel as warm inside as he did when he first wrote it.

And that, in a way, is what's Christmas to Scott.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: And somewhere in Germany a very adult Caro tends to bawl her eyes out to this song every now and then, because she loves it so much. Honestly, I cannot watch the video without getting emotional.

To me, this is one of the best 'new' Christmas songs of the past years.