December 11th

"Are you okay with me spending some time alone with Mike?" Mitch wanted to know. He was excited to have his father in New York for a few days, because even though they would see each other on Christmas it was always nice to spend some time with him. So he had been more than happy when he had gotten the message.

"Is that even a question, Mitchie?" Avi returned. "I know how important family is, and even though you're a part of mine and I'm a part of yours, I still think you should have some time to yourselves." He stepped behind his fiancé who was just touching up on his outfit. "I'll enjoy my day off with Scott. We both have to do some shopping and it's more fun to team up."

Mitch hummed in agreement. "I know." He then turned around and kissed Avi softly. "I'll head out now. Bye, Babe."

"Bye, Queen."

~

The airport was busy, as always, and even though Mitch hated busy places with a passion, he just couldn't pass up on meeting his Dad there, as a surprise of course.

His eyes lit up when Mike finally went out through the door out into the arrivals hall. He went towards him with a huge smile on his face.

When Mike finally noticed his son, he did what every father would do. He opened his arms and hugged Mitch tight. "You're here" he said.

"Of course I am, Dad" Mitch quipped. "I missed you.

Mike chuckled. "I missed you too, Son" he replied. "So... What are we going to do today?"

"I figured you'd like some food first? And then I don't know, maybe a trip through the city?"

"Food is essential" Mike joked. "And we could maybe hit a mall? I could need your help with your Mum's present.

"Of course! You know how much I like buying presents. So what are you planning to get her?" Mitch wanted to know while they headed outside and boarded the Uber Mitch had already taken care of.

"Well, she complained that her favourite necklace is broken beyond repair" Mike said.

"The gold one she always wears? You got it for your first wedding anniversary, am I right?" Mitch mused.

"Yes, that one" Mike said. "She had it repaired more than once but it finally gave in. So I'm planning to get a new one. Maybe not exactly the same, after all I want people to see that I still shower her with jewellery" he joked.

Mitch giggled. "I see. But I'm sure we'll find something for her."

~

After a belated brunch and some much needed catching up, Mitch and Mike took an uber to the mall. Of course it was busy, yet they made it to the jewellery store unharmed.

"So you were thinking about a gold one? And it still should be one without a pendant?" Mitch wanted to know already eying possible pieces.

"Yes. You know how she wore the old one every single day, actually she only took it off when she really had to" Mike said. "What about this one?" He pointed at a rather simple, yet cute model.

"Mmhm, that's not bad. It's simple and for everyday wear. But maybe we can find something a bit more complex?" Mitch proposed. "Maybe something like that?" Mitch pointed at another necklace which consisted of three single ones which were twisted. Two of both were the standard yellow gold and one was made of rosegold for a small pop of colour.

"Mitch, this is perfect" Mike said after a moment of looking at the piece. "I know why I asked you to help me."

Mitch winked at him "You're welcome, Dad" he said.

"May I help you?" A shop assistant approached them and smiled at them friendly.

"Yeah, I would like to purchase this necklace. The one with the rosegold in it" Mike said.

"Of course. Is it a Christmas present?" She asked back while carefully getting the item our of the vitrine.

"Yes, it's for my wife" Mike said proudly.

Mitch couldn't help to feel utterly happy for his parents. Even after all these years they were still so happy together. He looked around the store and smiled when he saw the display of wedding bands

"I'll be over there of you need me" he said to his father, before he went to take a closer look at the bands.

"Already looking forward to the big day?" Mitch hadn't noticed that his father had walked up behind him.

Mitch smiled and nodded. "Yes, definitely. I cannot wait to finally become a Kaplan" he replied while still looking at the wedding bands dreamily.

"Have you picked out wedding bands, yet?" Mike wanted to know.

"No. We were so busy with touring and preparations. But we still have time until March, so I'm not hectic or something. But I find myself stopping to look at them frequently" Mitch replied and finally looked at his Dad.

"I still cannot believe that my youngest is going to get married" Mike said. "I am so happy for you!"

"Thank you, Dad" Mitch said. "I was just wondering... I know it's still a few months until the wedding. But I wanted to ask you if you would... walk me down the aisle?" He looked at his Dad questioningly.

"Is that even a question? Yes, of course I will!" Mike beamed and there maybe even were some tears in his eyes as Mitch hugged him tight.