Ch 6: Cat's Out of the Bag

"Miss Amaranth, I need to talk to you. Come with me." A nurse said when Samantha woke up the next morning. The nurse guided her into a dull office and helped her sit down on the chair. "I heard from another patient that Dr. Lecter let you out of your straitjacket. That's very dangerous. It could have been disastrous! But don't worry, it wasn't your fault." She said as she began to dial a number on the phone. "No, it was my fault. I asked him to release me from the jacket. It was my request." Samantha lied. Luckily, the nurse couldn't tell she was lying. "Oh my! In that case, you're in trouble. You are not allowed to go outside for an entire week. I'm very disappointed in you, Samantha." The nurse said, shaking her head and dismissing Samantha to lunch.

Samantha saw Joey in line and gave him a disgusted look. "Sam, I had to tell. I didn't want you to get hurt." Joey pleaded. "No. You didn't have to say anything. You could have just let me be and kept my trust. But forget it. It doesn't matter anymore. I asked to be let out of the jacket, it's my fault and now I'm getting what I deserve. I'm in trouble. I can't be outside for a week. Thanks, Joey. Thanks a lot." She replied, mildly upset. Joey frowned and soon it turned to anger. "Whatever. It's not like I care what could have happened. Do whatever you want, just leave me out of it." Joey stormed away with his lunch. Samantha sighed and told the lunch staff what she wanted. She got half of a turkey sandwich and some warm tomato soup. She sat down with Jenny and another girl, not in any way wishing for Joey to be there. And he wasn't.

(Dirty Little Secret by All American Rejects)