Ch 13: Afraid

Samantha heard Dr. Lecter's shoes from the other side of the door and he opened the door for her. She smiled nervously and walked inside his office, doing her best to seem like her usual self.

"Hello Samantha. Back from the hospital I see. I am dearly sorry for what happened to you." He said sitting down in his chair with his notepad. Samantha nodded. "What is the matter? Are you doing alright this evening? Here, I'll release you from your jacket." He asked reaching out to her. Samantha cautiously turned around so he could unfasten the straitjacket. Samantha's mind grew more nervous as she heard the buckles snap. She had relapsed that afternoon when they left her alone. The nurses weren't at all pleased with her. They took away recovery points off her chart. He helped her shed the jacket as she tried to hold her wrists towards her so Dr. Lecter couldn't see her fresh cuts. Samantha turned back around as soon as he let go of her.

"Samantha, you aren't very good at hiding things from me." Dr. Lecter frowned as he tapped his own wrist to suggest he had seen her wounds. Samantha breathed in as her eyes widened and she tried to speak. Her voice shook and instead of words, choked sobs came out. She curled up in a ball and hugged her knees crying. Her crying this time seemed more out of fear than sadness.

"Samantha, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm not going to tell anyone about it. You won't be reprimanded by me for this." Dr. Lecter spoke to her. She lifted her head up and looked him in the eyes. "I-I-I'm so-sor-rry..." Samantha struggled with her words. She was never any good at communicating in a bed mental state. Other people could do it, you know, finish crying and talk normally. Samantha never could. She couldn't act stable for shit. She hated herself for it.

"It's alright. You're my last patient of the night, so I'm going to extend your time here fifteen more minutes. That's all I'll do. I promise. That's all I'm calling for, okay?" He reassured her since he could see she was afraid. This was the first time she had relapsed and the first time he had seen her cuts. It clearly shook her up. "Okay..." She replied, unfolding herself from her defensive position. He stepped outside for a moment with the phone. Dr. Lecter called Samantha's nurse and told her that Samantha would be seeing him an hour a night instead of forty-five minutes. The nurse agreed and Dr. Lecter stepped back inside. "We're all good to go Ms. Amaranth. From now on you'll be seeing me for an hour every night." Dr. Lecter said, smiling at her. "We still have twenty-five minutes left tonight. Would you like to discuss anything with me? Remember, I am here for you and I will not hurt you." Samantha nodded and began to speak.

(Fallen Angel by Three Days Grace)