Ch 18: The Beginning of the End

•Normal P.O.V.•

Samantha froze in the position she was in. Head down, looking up at the cunning psychiatrist, smiling as if he'd just won an argument. That smug grin soon changed to his resting face. "Well now that you've confessed, I must convict you." His eyes remained icy cold.

"What is my sentence?" She asked, hesitantly. "You must remain with me." He replied. "Remain with you?" Samantha asked. "What exactly do you mean, Dr. Lecter?"

He simply said "You will stay with me." Samantha got the message and was almost okay with it. However, she had no idea what staying with Dr. Hannibal Lecter would entail. Samantha looked up at the clock. She still had many minutes left of her session. She had no idea what to say. This confession knocked the air right out of her lungs. "Do you have anything else you wish to talk about Ms. Amaranth?" He asked, leaning back elegantly in his chair. "Will we be leaving this place?" She asked. "Yes, Samantha. We will be leaving this place soon." He replied smiling. This smile was different than any other that Samantha had seen. This smile was pleased. It was not tricky, sly, or condescending. He seemed content. It confused her, but she smiled back at him. Something about this made Samantha happy, but a sense of impending doom lurked beneath the surface. But why?

(It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) by R.E.M)