Ch 7: The New Girl

"I've never seen you before." Samantha said to the petite girl next to Jenny. "She's new." Jenny said. The new girl waved, even though her mouth was set in a frown. "Hey, I'm Samantha. What's your name?" Samantha asked her. "Lauren." She replied, poking at her food. "Lauren, if you don't eat, you won't get better." A nurse said from behind her. Lauren took a bite of her food and chewed it until the nurse left.

Lauren had been admitted to Oakwood Asylum for an awful eating disorder and a strong case of anxiety. She was anorexic and she would only eat 4 times a week or else she would throw it up. She also had obsessive compulsive disorder and did certain things in certain orders a certain number of times. She had pale blue eyes and long, wavy blonde hair that hung over her face. She was very thin, pale and she had bad posture. She never sat up straight, never went out, and always played with her food. She seemed to be naturally bony but her disorder made her even more so.

"Lauren, it'll be okay. You've got a healthy meal on your plate. It's a salad without any dressing. Only vegetables and lettuce. I'll be here for you. I don't want to see you suffer." Jenny said, putting a hand on Lauren's shoulder. "You're so kind.." Lauren said softly. She tried to smile and took another bite of her salad. Lauren wasn't feeling sick yet, which was a good sign. She continued to eat and drink water. She shook a little and watched everyone around her with wide eyes. "I don't like them, Jenny. Can they go away?" Lauren asked, looking up at Jenny. "No, I'm afraid they can't. But I promise you they aren't watching you. They have their own meals to focus on and half of them are talking to people. You'll be alright." Jenny assured her.

When Samantha went back to her cell before her scheduled session with Dr. Lecter, she saw some nurses moving Lauren into the cell beside hers. 'Oh, nice. Lauren must be staying here.' Samantha thought. Now Samantha was sandwiched between Jenny and Lauren. Lauren didn't have a straitjacket on. Maybe the staff didn't find her violent or maybe she didn't harm herself like Samantha did. Lauren entered her room and sat on the cot they had provided for her. She washed her hands three times before brushing her hair, starting with the left side and ending with the right side. She counted to eleven once and then did it again. Samantha learned not to judge her for her conditions and walked to Dr. Lecter's office with her main nurse.

(This is a Call by The Foo Fighters)