Ch 2: Consumption

Samantha continued to sit outside until her own name was called indoors. The nurse fastened her straitjacket back on and led Samantha to her room again.

"Excuse me, what time is it?" Samantha asked the nurse. "It's 5:30 Ms. Amaranth. Your appointment is in half an hour. Here's your dinner. Eat." She said as she set down a tray on the table.

The nurse unfastened Samantha's jacket and gave her a yellow rubber fork meant for a small child. Samantha stared at it and felt slightly humiliated. They had to safe-proof her silverware as if she were a five year old. Just because she "could hurt someone". It's not like anyone here can actually sue them if there was ever an accident. Why should they be concerned? It doesn't really matter. Samantha picked up her things and began to eat. The nurse shut the door and locked it tight, leaving Samantha alone to eat her dinner. Samantha ate the sandwich even though it wasn't very good. If she didn't eat, they'd suspect she had an eating disorder, which was one problem she didn't have. She was insecure about her weight but she never cared enough to do much about it.

She began to sing again "Waking up your neighbors downstairs. I've been inside your bedroom a thousand years. And as you tie me to the bed for good I say, 'I want you in the most unromantic way.'" Samantha shoved her empty plate aside. "I don't know how you get into me, down my throat and made a home in my veins. It used to be the rivers that would take us away, but now you only call me every Christmas and my birthday. I still can't believe how you look next to me, just like a strip club bedroom scene."

This song reminded Samantha of her ex-boyfriend. He used to go out all the time. She knew he was cheating on her or doing drugs again. When he was high, he was a very irrational man. She never should have dated him, considering that she knew what he did and how much older he was than her. No, he never hurt her...physically that is. He would tell her she would never amount to anything. He'd call her a b****, a wh*re and any other name under the sun. She was anything but, yet it tore her down. He dragged her through the mud with his cruel words. Sure he apologized, but he never showed any signs of stopping his cruelty. Her friends said she was lucky to have his heart. But she never did. His heart belonged to his addiction. Not that she'd ever want his heart. She stayed because she felt bad for him. She had problems of her own and thought that his problem made it okay for him to degrade her. How foolish she was. She realized her mistake in dating him and one cold winter, she left. He'd done his damage though. Two years later here she is, in a damn insane asylum.

"Samantha, it's time for your session." The nurse called as Samantha snapped out of her memories. The nurse opened the door, put on Samantha's jacket and led her down a long hallway. Only God knew what awaited behind that steel door.

(A/N: "Stay Away From My Friends" by Pierce the Veil)