Chapter 21: Take A Rain Check On That Mission

Lucy's PoV

Natsu and I were quiet as we walked to his place to pick up Happy, who we hadn't seen i the guild. He seemed to be in deep thought as he stared intensely at the ground. I was worried, but I knew why he was being so silent. It has to be what Shadow said, but what could it be? I thought, crossing my arms and putting my hand under my chin. "Oh honey, I was only helping him out." The sudden sound of said demon talking made me almost jump out of skin. "Scared you, didn't I?" She scoffed. I squinted my eyes and pouted, already thoroughly very annoyed. What do you want? I crossed my arms, looking up at my forehead, probably seeming like a complete idiot. "Stop doing that, you'll give us wrinkles in no time. I may be hundreds of years old, but that doesn't mean I need to look it!" She commanded me. Alright, back you go. I started using my magic to lock her away again. "Wait! Wait. You were wondering what I did, weren't you?" She panicked, and I stopped out of curiosity. She took a deep breath and continued. "I was only telling him the truth and some more facts. Nothing big." She waved it off, as if taking over my body for no apparent reason was normal. What other facts? I asked, seeing Natsu's house up ahead. "That's for him to tell you. It is about him anyway." She sang as I felt her presence disappearing. Hold on a minute! I sighed after my failed attempt to regain her person. 

"Lucy~. We're here. What are you lost in the clouds for?" Natsu waved his hand in my face. I guess he has been trying to get my attention for a long time now. "N-Nothing." I blushed at how close his face was and took a step back. "You were probably thinking about me. Don't worry, it's only natural to dream about your soulmate." He smirked, opening the door. "You wish." I mumbled following in after him. 

Inside was a complete wreck, as if someone had ransacked the place. The hammock, which Natsu probably slept in, was turned over and all his stuff was on the floor. Plates and and cups were smashed and glass was everywhere. When I looked on the walls, I saw a map of Fiore and lots of notes on it. Some had been torn off and half of the other you could see the word demon or Zeref's bo- split half way. 

At an instant, Natsu panicked, flipping the place upside down to find his stuff. "Natsu? Natsu what's wrong?" I quickly followed after him, a sense of dread coming over me. "Someone's kidnapped Happy!" He shouted back, all hot and bothered as he started sniffing the air. "What?! What do you mean someone's kidnapped him?" I gasped, following him outside. "I'm saying some has broken into my house and stolen all of my information on demons and taken Happy with them!" He suddenly turned around, scaring me a little. "D-Demons?" I stuttered, my hands raised to my chest as I shook. "How you find them, how to stop them possessing someone, how to kill them. Everything!" He clutched his hair, beyond stressed. "K-Kill? Why would you want to kill a demon?" I looked at him like he was insane. What had he been doing behind my back. "Because Shadow is the reason you suffered for so long Luce. How could you expect me to stand by while the love of my life is being taken over my a demon from the book of Zeref when it liked. What if it went into our children? It could kill you Luce, take over your body for ever! I can't just let that happen!" He explained, although I felt as if it were irrational. He kept on blabbering on about the future, or how I could die because of the thing. The government could come after me. "Natsu stop!" I screamed, tears in my eyes because I hated seeing him like this. "Shadow has saved my life more than once! If you take her out of me, I'll die!" Thus made him freeze. I took a deep breath to continue. "When the surgeons put her in my body, I had intense internal bleeding, my spinal cord was scratched and I was going blind because my father had thrown glass at me. I was basically dying. When they put her in my...it healed me completely. After that, Jude punished and hurt me to keep Shadow in check. Over the years, the wounds got so bad that the emotional state it had left me in was too much. My brain is damaged, and not even a demon's strength can fix that. Shadow is the only thing keeping me together, Natsu. And nothing, not even magic or praying to Mavis is going to change that." By the end tears were flying down myface. I didn't like the fact that he hated the only thing keeping me alive. "Wh-What about talking to those surgeons again, or going to the man Jude got her fro-?" I cut him off as he suggested way. "Shadow killed the surgeons the second she was secured. And the man who sold Shadow to Jude was Zeref himself. If you need time to think things through, go ahead, I'll give you time. Now I'm going to the guild to tell them about Happy." I turned and stormed away, feeling the loneliness that I had felt for the most part of my life returning as I feel Natsu's presence growing further.

Natsu's PoV

After Luce was out of sight, I punched a tree, chopping it in half. "Damnit!" I shouted out of frustration. That was sure to put a dent in our relationship. "Of course she can't help that. And of course that's what Shadow meant." I sat at the roots of the tree I just broke, slapping my forehead. "I'm such an idiot! And Happy's not even here to tease me." I hit my head on the tree, looking up at the clear sky. Everything was going so well too. I sighed. Happy must be so scared. I will get you back, lil' buddy. I smiled triumphantly, trying to forget about the argument as I waited for the guild, thinking about where I had gone wrong.