Chapter 35

Happy New Year!

Chapter 35

"Valerie..." She blinked and was about to close her eyes again. "Don't close your eyes baby." I said.

"I'll call the doctor. Don't close your eyes."

I pressed on the emergency button rapidly. Worrying that she'll be unconscious in no time.

"She's awake. Awake. She's awake." I was trying to calm down but every second is important.

She's awake. I was celebrating deep inside, but also worried this will not last.

"A-atticus..." That was her first word.

"He's fine, baby." I said, holding her hand. "Don't close your eyes. Okay?"

"We'll visit him... But for now don't close your eyes."

She made a small nod, and it felt years before the doctor came in.

"Excuse me Prince Connor." The doctor said, "We'll have to check on her first."

I kissed her hand, "I'll be on the side." I assured her. "Don't leave okay?" I pleaded.

I stepped aside and the doctors checked on her pulse,

Then her eyes, asking if something's hurting on her.

"Water." She softly said.

"We'll give you some. But, we have to finish checking on you..."

"Do you feel any pain? Different?"

"No." She softly answered.

"Do you know where you are? Do you know?"

The doctor continued interrogating her, asking her simple questions and she's able to answer.

Then they checked on her breathing.

The doctor looked at me, "We still have to constantly check on her, if she'll feel any pain. But the initially findings was she is okay. If this continues, she needs to undergo chemotherapy."

"Two more days here in the ICU, before I can transfer her in her room."

"I'll leave you two, but I'll call your parents to tell the good news." The doctor patted on my back and nodded.

"I'll ask for water. I'll just call. Eyes on me baby." I softly murmured.

I speed dialed mom, still looking at my wife, holding her hand. "She's awake mom. Water. She wants water."

-----

After two days inside the ICU I felt relieved that my wife will be transferred in the private room. I never left her. I am always with her.

So far there were no complications found, she's not hurting, although the doctor said we need to do the chemotherapy.

"Can we see Atticus now?" She asked.

We just arrived at her room,
She's still restless but she wanted to see our little guy.

"We can't bring him here. If you want we can go there..."

"Now? Can we go there now?"

I nodded at her.

Damn. My imagination is working. Doing it's own story. I an afraid that if she see's the little guy she will leave us. I wanted to keep Atticus a little bit longer to her, until I'n finally sure she's not leaving us.

In a while the wheelchair came in. My heart pounded as I seat Valerie's weak body on it.

I treasured every moment of pushing her to the nursery. "Connor." She said making me look at her.

She looked up at me and smiled, "I love you."

All of the doubts and worries left me, I smiled and kissed her on the lips, "I love you more my wife."

When we reached the nursery we saw our tiny little Atticus inside the incubator.

He was reddish, too small and thin, he needed to be there in less than two months.

"Hey Atticus" She whispered. His eyes were close, there were holes on the incubator.

Valerie held his hand, and surprisingly he held hers too. She looked up at me and smiled. "He can hold me." She said.

"Let's try if he will hold you."

I did put my hand in the hole too and Atticus did the same and said something.

"That's right. That is daddy baby." She said. She brushed his face and he sucked on her finger.

"Oh. You're hungry baby?" She smiled and nodded at me to call the nurse.

The nurse gave us a bottle, and Valerie fed him. "Momma cannot feed you yet. She needs to undergo chemotherapy and be strong so she can be with you and daddy."

I looked down at Valerie, there was determination in her eyes, the determination that says she'll be fighting for her life.

"I hate seeing you here baby. I want you in my womb, but momma's body became too weak, but don't worry, I'll visit you often okay?"

Our little on wiggled his hands like he understands.

Seeing Valerie happily feeding him makes me happy too. I've always known she'll be a good mother.

"Time to go baby." I said. "That fast?" She softly asked, then she caressed Atticus' face.

"Bye for now baby. Mommy will be back tomorrow." I pushed her wheel chair back to her room. "He looks like you doesn't he?" She chuckled.

"Everything, he got everything for you." she happily said. "When he frowned earlier, that's how exactly you do, his eyebrows are yours, his tiny lips."

"I just carried him, but he's got everything from you."

I carried her to bed with a frown, she chuckled and straightened by eyebrows, "Hey big Atticus, don't frown." She smiled. She caressed my face and looked intently at me. "Why don't you go home and take a rest first? I can see dark circles under your eyes now. Sleep at home Connor."

"No way I'm going to leave you here Valerie."

"My parents can stay here for a night. So you can take a full rest."

"I'll stay here as long as you stay here. I will never leave your side baby."

She sighed and looked away,
"Connor, you're wasting your youth with me. You should be out, exploring the world, and not taking care of a bald girl like me."

Valerie really knows how to piss me off, but no, she will never win. The doctor said this is possible to happen, she might pity herself because of her appearance.

"You always thought that I love you because of your appearance don't you?" I asked, as I hold her hand and caress my face.

"You can do nothing to make me hate you, to unlove you baby. You are engrave here, in my heart, forever."

She smiled at me and nodded. "I was always giving you a way out, and you never took any of it."

"And I never will. I will be here, until you are totally okay."

"Then you will leave?" She smirkingly challenged.

I leaned forward to her ears and whispered, "Then we'll make another baby"