On Impulse (Uta)

"Something in your eyes was so inviting

Something in your smile was so exciting."

The same lyrics. The same meaning. The same playlist that undesirably invited itself into your memory. Yet you couldn't simply avoid it. Despite its involuntary welcome, you hoped for it to never leave.

You sipped on your drink, placing your glass on the wooden bar. Less drinks were being served, less conversations being spoken- despite it being a Saturday night. Sitting on the same wooden chair you had grown so used to, you watched people coming and going, stopping and staying.

The space in between the menu and the shelves caught your eyes, and you soon drifted off into your own thoughts. You hadn't noticed that the red-haired woman behind the bar was leaning over it looking at you, until she called out your name.

"Y/N, something wrong? You seem a lot quieter than usual." Itori asked, her focus fixated on you. You sighed, closing your eyes and resting your head in your hand.

"Nothing's wrong it's just...I'm bored. There's no excitement." You took a long, slow sip before carelessly putting the empty glass back onto the bar. Itori stood up straight, filling the glass with the red substance again. "Have you gotten any interesting information recently?"

"Only minor things. Nothing that would surprise you." She spoke in a calm, soft tone.

"Oh." You looked around, seeing only a couple blank, concealed faces latched onto a glass. "Where are the other two?" You continued to ask questions, in fear of the silent void returning.

Itori sighed, shaking her head. "Those boys... I haven't heard from either of them in a couple of days. They must be off doing something-or-other."

"Hm." You looked down, defeated. You took a drink of the newly filled glass in silence.

"Oi! Give me another one!" A man shouted from down the bar in a particularly rude tone. You couldn't tell if he was drunk- or just a jerk. His eyebrows were furrowed, and his cheeks were flushed red. He slammed his fist down onto a coaster, impatiently.

Maybe a bit of both.

"My my! Calm down, Sir. I can't serve you any faster~" Itori playfully whined at the now clearly drunken man. She walked over to him, trying to settle down the customer, leaving you with only the jukebox as company yet again.

After finishing your third drink, you stood up, putting your jacket on. Itori was still trying to calm the man, and hadn't noticed you until the screeching of the bar stool you were slightly pushing in filled the room.

"Of course no- oh? Y/N? Are you going?" She turned her head.

"Yeah, I think I've drank enough." You walked over to her, placing the amount of money next to her. "Thanks again, Itori."

"No problem, Y/N-chan! I'll see you again~" She perked up, smiling at you.

"Sure will." You stuffed your hand into your pocket, and headed for the door. Upon opening the door, you stepped forward, before almost jumping back in surprise.

A tall, towering man stood in front of you, looking down at you slightly.

"Oh! Hey, Renji."

"Hey, Y/N." He wore the same long, grey coat, partnered with the same stone cold expression. Over his shoulder, a slightly shorter Uta peaked over, looking at you.

"Y/N! Are you going to let us in?"

"Uh, sure." You stepped aside, allowing the two men to walk in.