Brown Hazel Eyes

Chapter 3

"Stop it," she said. I eyed her suspiciously and replied innocently," stop what?"

"Stop staring!"

"I'm not!"

"Stop denying, you kept shooting me furtive glances. Now spill woman! What are you hiding from me?"

"Ok ok fine! I just, got a job at this cafe during the summer holidays and I'm starting work tomorrow."

"What?!"

I took in a deep breath, I had a lot of explaining to do. 

I had taken up a job at the cafe and what's the purpose you may ask? When I'm already leading the perfect life, with all the riches that I can swim in and the love and popularity I'm basking in, why do I need a job? 

Well, I did it, because I wanted an escape from my identity. I wanted those few months of summer holidays to be the day where I could finally be at ease with myself, where I can be clad in boxers and hideous outfits and I can stop tiring myself every morning to get those contacts in my eyes and trying to draw the perfect eyeliner.

I needed an escape from that cheap life I have, and Talia needed to know because that means she have to cancel all the summer plans she had made and exclude me from all of it, and by the looks of it.

 It definitely was not pleasant when Talia knew the truth, but being best friends, she could only empathize with me and respect my decision.

"So no suntanning in the sun and then going to the cafe to chat with you?

"No."

"Not even recognizing you?"

"No."

"What about when we're back home?"

"Then yes, but it's okay I still love you."

"Fine"

• • •

We spent the rest of the day at her house, swimming in her pool and talking about our plans for the future. Discussing about the ridiculous plants that our parents had in mind for us.

 Talia wanted to be a lawyer but her parents had already carved her to be the next business woman so that she could take over their businesses. No amount of persuasion could possibly change their minds, she felt that she was cursed to be born in a rich family. It felt like she was destined to do and accomplish every single task they threw at her. She was cold and mean, because of the way her parents trained her to be. 

Never show your weakness to others, always put up a smile and pretend that everything is going smoothly even when everything around you is crumbling and you feel like falling on your knees.

You must never reveal your weakness in front of your enemies and friends. This explains why she rarely smiled except when she gets to pull pranks on people, she takes it as a way to comfort her unspoken ambitions.

That was her story.

I wanted to be an author, but my parents wants me to be a doctor to continue their legacy. They pinned all their hopes on me to continue their well known hospital going. Both of us are in the same situation which is why when our eyes met, we clicked instantly, especially when we're stuck in the same situation now. Although there was a vast contrast in our personalities, we still got through the tough times. She was my confidant and I was hers, and it was because of this, we both feel that our blood runs the same.

• • •

My eyelids shot open. I stared at my pastel blue ceiling walls and the golden fan that whirled continuously. 

Today is the first day. Today is the day I can finally be myself. I crawled out of bed and washed up. I got ready and I put my spectacles on, I put my hair in a messy ponytail and wore a black polo tee and black skinny jeans. 

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. The girl with that brunette hair in a messy ponytail, the one whose eyes sparkled now behind those glasses. I lifted my hand, and so did she, I smiled and so did she. She mimicked every single thing I was doing, this was me. The girl who never wanted the popularity, never wanted to try and be pretty, never wanted to hurt the feelings of another. 

That's her, that's Chloe Alexia Reyes.

I plugged in my ear plugs and decided to walk towards the nearest bus stop to get to my destination. It was unbearable to leave my baby to rot in the porch, but it has to be done. This was my second life now, and in this second life, I am not miss popular, I am someone who likes to read, someone who could not care less about her appearance.

I waited patiently for the bus, and what I saw was not what I expected it to be. Instead of a luxurious bus with air conditioner, it was an old rickety bus. 

Its' seats were old and dusty, some were even torn, the only source of ventilation was the windows that could slide open so that the cool breeze could renew the suffocating air. I stuck my head out and let my hair brush against my face and the wind blew it, it was soothing.

"Next stop, Hammington Boardwalk" it was my cue to get down this dreadful junk.

I jumped off the steps and walked along the pavements, decorated with tinted tiles arranged in a pattern.

The colours of the tiles that danced under the sun, the way it swirled into a hypnotizing pattern. I saw shops that were open and the smell of sea salt in the air. I could taste it. I could feel it, it was within my clutches now. 

Freedom, I've finally caught you. 

My feet came to a stop when I saw that little cafe that towered over me, the wooden plaque with golden imprints. 'Coffee cups of cakes'. I take in a big mouthful of air, adjusted my outfit and stepped in confidently. I peered in and his gaze met mine. Those alluring brown eyes of Calum Jones.

🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟
Authors note: yeah so I know it's getting very typical and it only happens in movies, but please bear with me:< I hope it gets better! Hope you like this chapter! Vote comment share! Tenks! Xoxo