Big Black Tacos

Chapter 16

I flipped through the recipe book, that could be easily accessed in my house. Calum wanted to try and cook tacos. He tried to search through the very empty refrigerator

I found it:

Easy Beef Tacos
Prep Time15 MIN Total Time30
Ingredients
1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 cup Old El Paso™ Thick 'n Chunky salsa
10 Old El Paso™ taco shells
1/2 head lettuce, shredded
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
Directions
1 Cook beef in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain.
2 Stir salsa into beef. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour beef mixture into large serving bowl.
3 Heat taco shells as directed on

It seems relatively easy, especially if you could follow instructions well. I read out the ingredients one by one slowly, so that Calum could catch what I am saying, and hopefully manage to rummage out a few ingredients so we don't have to buy them.

We laid the pathetic bunch of ingredients on the table, the tomatoes that were almost going to rot, lettuce that had soggy leaves, the only ingredient that looked appealing was the cheese, but that was beginning to smell bad too. I felt dejected, looks like we're going to have a shopping trip.

We drove towards the nearest supermarket in my red Porsche which I pretended was Espanza's. We went to the vegetable section and tried our best to pick an appealing lettuce and at the same time search for red tomatoes. It was tedious to walk round the mart, trying to navigate through the maze and searching for our beef and taco salsa and wraps. 

"Is this beef? Looks like beef to me," Calum points to the lean chicken breast. 

I rolled my eyes. "Don't you know how to read Mr Blind?" I chided sarcastically. "That's chicken!" I slapped his hand away and reached out for the pound lean beef.

 I instructed Calum to get the wraps and salsa sauce while I try to source for additional things to make my fridge look more vibrant, like ice cream.

"That's the wrong sauce Calum!" I groaned, he had seriously just picked tomato sauce and now our taco was going to taste very weird. 

"Well they were both red! They look the same to me," he admits sheepishly. 

I shook my head in defeat, and started to chop the tomatoes into minuscule cubes, while Calum washed the lettuce before chopping it finely. I peered over and much to my horror I see him washing the vegetables with soap.

"Holy mother of Cows, what are you doing!" I screeched.

"Uhm... Washing the vegetables?" He says innocently

"Yeah but not with soap!"

"Oh..."

The cooking was even worse, I seriously can't leave Calum to be on his own, I have no idea how he managed to cut himself with it. He managed to regale my frustration by coming up with a dark joke. 

"You gave me a cheese grater for my birthday and since I was blind, I thought it was a book and I must admit it was a very violent book," he spoke in a singsong voice [btw the joke is copyrighted pls dun be offended:<] lightening the mood. 

After a million years of Calum being a casualty, we're finally done with the filling. Which was me doing everything because Calum couldn't follow simple instructions.

Now it's going to be up to Calum if he could cook a simple taco shell. I watched him carefully put the taco shells on the pan. So far so good... 

"Calum! You're going to burn those shells if you don't remove it now!" I hollered. He had diverted his attention away for a mere second and that should never be the case when you cook, you should be attentive to prevent anything from being overheated and end up being burnt.

Like our taco shells.

I looked at the charred black taco shells that barely wrapped our fillings. 

It looks pathetic.. I made a mental note never to let Calum enter the kitchen. I took a bite of the nasty taco, and I spat it out immediately. 

"This is not fit for human consumption," I declared, hastily shoving the grim black tacos into the bin. 

"But at least the filling taste good," Calum defended, I smirk.

"Is it because I cooked it?"

"Yes buttercup, yes."

• • •

One week passed, it's Monday. Calum said he wanted to introduce me to his friends. I was honestly feeling skeptical and worried for the meeting, most of them are jocks so there might be a possibility that they may recognize me.

I stared at the window, the bad clouds that were occupying the blue sky. The way the leaves rustled under the cold gush of air, I shivered under the intense pressure I was giving myself. I got up and don a sweater, I grabbed the umbrella. 

Just in case it rains, on me. I walked along the path, I wasn't skipping anymore. I was trudging slowly, my eyes were fixated on the trail of frosty leaves. The bus stop was more desolated than usual, there was this bad omen that kept pestering me making me feel queasy.

Plitter. Platter. It rained on me.

🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟
Authors note: The second part is something like foreshadow? I guess haha. Uhm if u like it vote comment share!