Chapter Ten- Daggers and Spanners

A/N- Friday! Update day! I remembered...party! Anyway, I had fun writing this chapter, hope you guys liked it :)

Piper's POV

Annabeth left Piper with Jackie, and honestly it wasn’t that bad, she got Jackie to start with her dagger manoeuvrers, teaching how to block, stab, and retreat. It wasn’t hard, considering how coordinated Jackie was, but Piper couldn’t concentrate, she was distracted.

By the time Piper and Jackie had finished sparring they had both broken into a sweat.

“You’re really good.” Piper said with a huff.

“Please, I learnt from a master.” Jackie complemented Piper.

Piper rolled her eyes, “You should see Annabeth…”

Jackie glanced at Percy at the other side of the arena, before returning to meet Piper’s eye-contact. And then she smiled at the direction that Annabeth had been a few minutes ago.

“You’re so nice for not treating me like the other campers have.” Jackie said sadly. “The only people being nice to me were you, Annabeth, Percy and the others in your group. The campers have been practically shunning me.”

Piper felt sorry for her, rumours about her were spreading around camp like a wild fire, and none of them were probably true. Piper guessed that Drew had spread them, after Jackie had threatened to throw her into the lake.  But Piper couldn’t imagine how she was feeling right now, no mother and a father that she hasn’t met…and at only fourteen years old. “Uh, when is your birthday Jackie?”

Jackie looked at Piper, “I-I… It’s…It’s in a week. Oh my gods, it’s in a week.”

Piper smiled, “You seem to be learning quickly about how we talk around this camp. But anyway…a week? You’re turning fifteen right? You know, I think we should go swimming on your birthday, how you would like that?”

Piper didn’t think that Jackie would just be turning fifteen, Leo was fifteen and she was about four inches taller than him.

“Yes! That’s would be awesome!” Jackie beamed at her, which brought a bubbly feeling to Piper smile.

________________________________________________

Leo had been in his cabin fixing Buford for hours. The table had been going haywire, and it wasn’t usual. It reminded Leo of the ‘curse’ of Cabin Nine, which his cabin mates thought had lifted and Leo never thought existed.

He blasted ‘It’s Time’ by Imagine Dragons through his radio, singing along to the words. He usually played the Rolling Stones like his mom would but decided to be different that day.

Although he felt good and relaxed around his automatons, he kept on recalling last night, Jackie had just left after his hair had ignited itself. Leo knew he had blown it, maybe he was a bad kisser, or maybe it was just the fact that his hair was on fire at the time, but Leo wasn’t good with members of the opposite gender… or his friends…or organic life forms at that!

‘Giving the academy a raincheck…’

Leo sighed. Another girl he’d lost in the blue.

Buford let out steam and started whistling when someone knocked on his cabin door. Leo was alone of course; his siblings spent most of their time at the forge during the day, or were in their private room which their bunks took them to.  Which left Leo to answer the door.

When he opened the door, he was greeted by a cute smile, blonde hair and green eyes that Leo knew all too well. “There you are! I thought I'd never see you again.”