Chapter Thirteen- Land ahoy

Jackie

I loved the ocean, especially when I finally got back to it. Leo, Percy, Annabeth and I had been lucky enough for my dad to transport us to Florida after we had all packed for the quest. Apparently it wasn’t good to travel by the land during the Giants War, Gaia; our enemy was the goddess of the Earth, so I guessed it wasn’t a good idea.

But time passed by fast enough, we were in a boat travelling several knots faster than limit but we were alright. Leo was retelling all his old jokes, Percy was sleeping and Annabeth was ignoring Leo’s jokes which left Leo and I to talk.

“You shouldn’t trust acupuncturists, they’re back stabbers.” Leo smiled. I smirked at him.

Leo was awesome to be around, and it seemed that I was to the same to him. Ever since that kiss last night, I knew Leo was totally trustworthy. Okay, he was a little corny, but that’s Leo. That’s the thing I liked about him, and now we were dating. This was pretty cool, considering I had never met any boys before I was at camp.

“Jackie are you alright?” Leo asked.

I realised I had been staring out the porthole of the boat for around five minutes.

“Yeah, I’m fine, just thinking.”

Leo smirked, “You’re not just thinking Jackie.”

I smiled and kissed him on the cheek, “Never mind that, what have you been thinking about?”

“The prophecy. It’s a bit unnerving isn’t it. Pilgrims, family of fire, chains, bluffs; it sounds like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.”

Annabeth looked up from her new laptop; she said that she lost her one made by the Daedalus in Tartarus. Which Jackie couldn’t believe either? Annabeth and Percy apparently had been through Tartarus together, no wonder Percy could have been having such bad dreams.

“It is a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, but it will make sense during the quest. Chiron said that Thetis is on Miami Beach. Which means that narrows it down to about a couple thousand surfers, a bunch of teenagers and tons of tourists who are on summer vacation.”

I frowned; I didn’t think it was going to be this hard.

 “Who is Thetis anyway? She sounds like an energy drink.” Leo muttered.

Annabeth smiled, “No Leo, she was a nymph, mother of Achilles. And, she took in your father when he was thrown from Olympus.”

Leo smirked, ‘So, she’s like my adoptive Grandma? That sucks; because the prophecy mentioned to face a ‘nymph who has turned’ what the Hades does that mean?”

I agreed with Leo, “I don’t know, but turned doesn’t sound friendly.”

Annabeth nodded, “We’ll have to see, but the rest of the prophecy doesn’t sound that friendly either…” But Annabeth never got to finish the sentence, the boat stopped with a jolt and Percy woke up.

“What! Huh?” He said intelligently, “What happened?’

I noticed that Percy looked a lot better; he couldn’t sleep at night, so it was good that he took a nap. The ocean made him calmer than usual.

Leo peered out the porthole, “Land ahoy! Welcome to Miami beach!”

I stared out the porthole with a smile. I was from Florida, so it was good to be home, but I rubbed my eyes tiredly. “You’re kidding me, we have to swim ashore? I’m fine with it, but Annabeth and Leo, your stuff is going to get wet.”

Annabeth cursed in Greek, which my mind instantly translated as a word my mom would make me wash my mouth out with soap for saying. Leo gave me his signature smirk.

Percy put his hands up, “Wait a second, I’ve got an idea.”

We all turned to Percy who was pulling off his shoes, “I could make an underwater air pocket which could take us to shore.”

Annabeth smiled and kissed him, “You’re a genius Seaweed Brain. It was just like our first underwater kiss.”

Leo and I exchanged glances, the same understanding passed between us.

“Underwater kiss?” Leo smirked.

I laughed, “Seriously, Isn’t that a bit corny.” Percy gave me a playful glare. “Anyway, are you sure you’ll be able to keep four demi-gods dry?”

Percy grinned at me, ‘You’re going to help, you’ve got water powers too.”

“Oh great.” I muttered.

“You’ll do fine fisher girl.” Leo said punching me on the arm.

It took us about five minutes to gather our stuff and meet up on deck; we stood on the edge of the railing and soon enough Percy was giving instructions about the underwater bubble.

“When your underwater just think about a bubble and keeping dry. Hold on to Leo, I’ll take Annabeth.”

I nodded and took a deep breath, taking Leo’s (who was grinning at the time, idiot) hand, staring into the water below us, Percy counted down.

“Okay, 3… 2…1.” And with that we all jumped into the water, I kept my mind straight as we pierced the surface. I concentrated on one thought;

Dry…Dry…Dry….

I opened my squinted eyes to find everybody staring at me, we were in a bubble, I exhaled.

“It worked,” I sighed.

Leo smiled and kissed me on the cheek. “You had me worried there for a moment Fisher Girl.”

Percy looked at me confused, “You’re dating Valdez? Seriously? You only came to camp week or two ago.”

Leo smirked. “How could she resist this? I’m Leo Valdez, and I’m hot.”

“Temperature wise.” Annabeth muttered.

I smiled at Percy, “I’m almost fifteen Percy, you don’t need to worry about boys until we’ve sorta saved my butt.”

He smiled at me; Annabeth gave Percy a kiss too. “Come on. We’ve got to find Thetis today.”

I nodded and Percy and I willed our bubble to ascend to the surface, where the sun glittered above the water.