Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Sam's POV

My phone had been ringing non-stop since I reached home. Daniel's been calling me non-stop. He left me some voice mail and I did not bother to listen to them as I was still trying to clear my head about what happened today.

I can't believe that he's really back! And this time, there's nothing I could do about his presence. I could not make use of his presence to comfort me like it used to, this time I have to do the opposite.

Luckily tomorrow's Saturday, I won't have to face either Daniel or Josh tomorrow, and to me, that was a huge relief. I went to bed early as I was too tired after all those thinking about what I was going to do.

I fell asleep right away when my head touches my pillow.

----------

"Mom! We are home!" I shouted. Manda was behind me as we walked into our house.

Silence.

"Hm? That's weird. Isn't mom home at this time?" Manda asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head, "Yea. Why is there no one at home? Maybe she went out?" I replied.

"Yea, could be." Manda said as we climbed up the stairs to our room.

We were chattering to each other as we walked, telling each other what the other missed out in our different classes. When we walked past the master bed room, we heard weeping.

We looked at each other in question and worry before knocking on the door. No one opened the door after our second attempt and we decided to go in without permission to see who was crying.

I opened the door slowly with Manda behind me, peering over my shoulders in curiosity. The sight that greeted us gave us a shock.

We saw mom, huddled up in a corner beside the window, looking out and crying her heart out. It broke our hearts to see her like this as she was always so happy and jovious all the time! To see this side of her was a shock for the both of us.

It took her a moment before she actually acknowledge our presence in the room. She turned her head and looked at us with such sadness and pain that we can't even look at her in the eye after a while.

"Mom? What's wrong?" I asked her in worry.

She said nothing at first, just stared at us. She seemed to be far away for a minute before she cried out for us.

"Oh sweetheart! I'm so sorry! So so sorry." She sobbed. She rushed to our side and hugged us both tightly.

Her whole body was trembling like a leaf as we hugged her back. We waited for her to explain to us what cause her to cry like this. And after a minute of listening to her sobbing, Manda spoke up in a soft voice. "Mummy, why are you crying?"

She lifted her head and stared at us. "Your father. He... He left... Us. He left us and he's never going to come back. Not to me, not anymore." She chocked out before bursting into fresh tears again.

Both of us were shocked by the news. But I was paralyzed.

No! It can't be! Daddy, NO!

I started panting like as if I've just ran a marathon. "No! Daddy's gone?!" I screamed. "NO!" I got out of mom's hold and ran to daddy's study where he was at most of the time.