13

We head to the truck in complete silence.

"Hey are you okay?" Jason asks me while starting the truck.

"Yeah I'm fine," I mutter while putting my seatbelt and staring out the window. 

I really don't try to be alone. I had friends in high school and I was no where near being considered a loner. I went to college for a year or so, but moved back home and continued to take classes and help with Ella after she was born. I don't know if they planned to have a child in their 40's, but they did not seem prepared for it. Then they passed last year and I became Ella's sole guardian.  After that I didn't have the option to go away to college anymore. I doubt colleges would let a two year old into their dorm. I had to take care of all of my parents belongings and moved Ella and myself into an apartment a couple towns over.

I couldn't sit in the same house after they were gone.

Once my friends went back to school last fall,  I heard from them progressively less and less and by the time they came back from their first break we hadn't talked in weeks. We met up once for dinner and I ended up having to leave early because Ella was having a fit and I never heard from them after that.

I could have tried harder but seeing the looks of pity when they saw me with Ella and them dancing around the subjects of why I wasn't going to school was too much.

It's been just Ella and I ever since.

When I look up I realize we are in front of a moderately sized grocery store. I go to unbuckle my seatbelt and a large warm hand stops me.

I look up to see Jason staring at me, looking like he is struggling like he wants to say something but doesn't know how. Once he sees the water in my eyes he sighs and lets go of my hand and we get out of the truck. I take a deep breath before walking around the other side to meet him.

"Are you okay?" he asks hesitantly.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say while walking towards the store. He grabs my arm and spins me around. I stumble a bit and end up being steadied by his strong arms which leaves me pushed against his chest looking up at him.

"You can tell me if you want. I won't bother you again but just know I am a pretty good listener," he says with a small smile. With that he leans down to kiss my cheek then lets go of my arms.

Tingles are going up and down my arms where he was holding me. It may be in the 90's but a shiver goes down my spine. I slowly rub the spots on my arms before turning around and walking next to him towards the store.

---

After grocery shopping for an hour or so I realize we have almost four carts of stuff, and only one cart was for Ella and I and the fridge upstairs.

"Is this everything Connie put on the list?" I ask dumbfounded.

"Yeah we just have to get a couple cases of sodas and then we should be good," he says while looking at the list. He looks over to my face and laughs. "We eat a lot and it's six floors of people. This is only a small run because we are running out of specific things. You should come when its an actual grocery run. It's almost 8 carts then," he says while pulling two carts.

I follow behind with the other two and we go and get the sodas.

"Do you even have room for all of this?" I ask. I only saw one fridge and a cabinet or two of food.

"Yeah we have more refrigerators built into the cabinets, so they don't look completely ridiculous with 4 refrigerators lined up. There is also one for each floor and we split up leftovers after big meals to the floors. The fifth floor also has their own kitchen with a couple of fridges  that they do use. Liam, Mia, Noah, Zoe, Logan and Lily all live on the fifth floor. They use their fridge because there are more of them, more of the people who work for the security company  are on their floor and the fourth floor and they also get their own kitchen. They occasionally come down for group meals but that's about it. There is also a whole walk in pantry for snacks and perishable foods that is also in the kitchen. You probably just haven't seen anyone go in it yet," he chuckles.