Chapter 25

Sofia's P.O.V

There was a small breeze as I made way through the grass. The air felt cool. It wasn't cold, but it wasn't hot either. The weather was one of the things that I loved about this place.Costa Rica didn't have a "winter" season really. They had hot then they had rainy. You could not compare the cold you felt here to the one in England or even America.

The solemn silence only reminded me even more of the sadness that kept creeping up in my life. I was the only one here. I liked that better. I've avoided coming here whenever I was visiting Costa Rica. This place was just another heartache in the countless that I have experienced in my life. I finally reached the headstone I was looking for. I bent down and placed the tulips I was carrying near the headstone.

Isobel Rivers

April 21,2001- April 20, 2007

Beloved Daughter And Sister

I felt the tears spill out of my eyes. Six years later and it still hurt so much to know that she was gone. I missed her so much. It still felt unreal. How can someone be here and then the next second not like they were never even here in the first place? It was unfair. She deserved to live. She was only six; almost seven.

"Isobel," I whispered. "I wish you were here." I felt the tears continue trailing down my cheeks as I recalled my last memory with her.

"Porque no puedo ir con usted?" Isobel whined.

"Practice your English." I said.

"Why do I have to practice my English?" She asked with an annoyed look on her face. Our mother had put us in English classes since I could remember.

"Because it's good to be bilingual. The earlier you learn, the easier it will be." She didn't know yet that we were going to move to the USA in six months. My mom needs to tell her soon.

"Come on put on your backpack. Your van is here." I picked up her light blue back pack and helped her slip it on. I walked her outside towards the van.

I kneeled down to her eye level. "I promise that after school we'll spend some time together. Te amo.¨

"Yo también. Adiós." She said and she kissed my cheek. She got into the van and I waved as I watched it drive away. Later that day there was an earthquake. Earthquakes were a normal occurrence in Costa Rica. They have earthquake drills like they have fire drills. Isobel was on her way to the bathroom when the earthquake hit. It wasn't as bad as other earthquakes. Isobel was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was so small. She didn't stand a chance against two large filing cabinets. She would have had a chance if someone had thought to look for her. They found her unconscious minutes after the earthquake struck. They rushed her to hospital but by then it was too later. She had massive internal bleeding. There was nothing they could do. They had found her too late. She bled out internally. April 20, 2007 was the worst day of me and my mom's life. She died just shy of her birthday. She was too young. Being at her funeral almost killed me. Have you ever seen a tiny coffin? It was awful. Unbearable.

I took a deep breath and willed myself to stop crying. I looked once more at the headstone before walking away. I took a bus and headed to the little bakery called Spoon. It had been so long since I've been there. As I reached the familiar place, childhood memories start to flood my mind. I walk inside and head over to sit at an empty table. It was a last minute decision to come to Costa Rica. With everything that happened with Harry I just needed a difference perspective of things. I didn't want to go back home yet.

"Sofia!" I heard a deep voice call my name. I looked up to see a tall, dark haired boy walking over to my table. A smile began to grow on my face. I stood up to hug him.